DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the bay area, ca. Can anyone reccomend a shop for shock installation?
Thanks
JB

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm in the bay area, ca. Can anyone reccomend a shop for shock installation?
Thanks
JB
:secret2:Your driveway with a couple wrenches?

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Shocks are definately a good introduction to working on your own truck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I needed a spring compressor, etc. I'm not scared of busting knuckles, but catching a spring to the dome....lil bit.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really want to, I've just never installed shocks before. So I assume no special tools are required, just remove old replace with the new....anything I should look out for?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I really want to, I've just never installed shocks before. So I assume no special tools are required, just remove old replace with the new....anything I should look out for?
Look out for asking too many questions. Go crawl under the truck with your tool box. You'll be done in less than an hour!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Very self explanatory, take a shock off, install a shock. One at a time.

·
15,912 Posts
One thing you will need is an allen wrench to stick in the top of the piston for the front shock. The lock nut will just spin if you do not stop the piston from turning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot, I had looked in the Haynes and I saw spring compressor and closed the book, I'll crawl under there today after work. Less than an hour sounds s a w e e t
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I did it myself and if I can do it anybody can, LOL.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
You may not even have to remove the wheels. The shocks I've changed were with the wheels on the ground. Probably be easier if you do take the wheels off, but yes -- this is car maintenance 102.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
I thought I needed a spring compressor, etc. I'm not scared of busting knuckles, but catching a spring to the dome....lil bit.....
:thatfunny:thatfunny

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm getting nervous now, sounds too easy, like a get rich scheme, no jack required, regular tools, can leave the wheels on, 1 hour.... I did my own spark plugs, so I guess this should be a breeze. thanks again, JB

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
I'm getting nervous now, sounds too easy, like a get rich scheme, no jack required, regular tools, can leave the wheels on, 1 hour.... I did my own spark plugs, so I guess this should be a breeze. thanks again, JB
Shocks are definately easier than Hemi plug swap.

·
Mopar or no car!
1,959 Posts
I changed my shocks out in less than an hour without removing the wheels. Just a good jack and a few simple tools. I used a pair of vise grips on the fronts to hold it while loosening them so they wouldnt spin...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha

:teacher: "drugs and akahol have changed my life"

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
I changed my shocks out in less than an hour without removing the wheels. Just a good jack and a few simple tools. I used a pair of vise grips on the fronts to hold it while loosening them so they wouldnt spin...
I have used vise grips on other vehicles to keep the shaft from spinning. I would recommend using a towel or old leather glove in between the shaft and vice grips to keep from marring the shock shaft.

That was way too many shafts in one post.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never been a fan of vice grips, but if all else fails the grips and a rag will be on stand-by.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.