DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a plow for my truck (I know, you're not supposed to). Just for my driveway and my grandfather's, the fourwheelers just can't handle all this Maine snow.

I got a quote from our Chevy dealer that's a Boss dealer. Fitment chart said I need a 7'6" "SportDuty" plow.

Does anyone have any experience with this line of Boss's products? I'm afraid of using the lighter-duty model for fear of durability, removed features, etc.

Another place in town sells Fisher plows, the light duty fisher 7'6" is 500 bucks more and from a worse-looking place (small brake shop that's a Fisher dealer).

Any help here?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a buddy in VT that has owned Fisher, Western and now Boss in the last 6 years and the Boss is what he likes the best. It's easy mount is easier and he has had no problems at all. As far as the 7.5' thats a good size for a short bed truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, KSZRT. 7.5' sounds good to me, too, but I'm just wondering if a Standard duty would be ok rather than a light duty (or Sport duty, as boss calls it).

The boss 7.5' Sport duty is around 430 pounds total, and is intended for "downsized 4x4s, SUV's, and light duty half tons".

The Boss 7.5' Standard Duty Poly is around 645 pounds total, and is intended for "4x4, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton".

They also have a 7 foot Standard duty poly, that also weighs 430 pounds. But that seems a little narrow?

But 650 pounds seems like a lot of weight hanging off the front of my truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How big are the drive ways?? The lighter one will work fine if you take your time and don't let two feet of wet snow fall before you start plowing. At the same time you are concerned with the weight of the heavy one, how much would you be driving around with it on?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The driveways are pretty long, one's maybe 200 feet, uphill, with a circle (odd shaped). The other is about 500 feet, just paved (smooth and level) and flat.

I called my local dealer, I got the runaround -- service transferred me to parts, parts sent me to service -- and the verdict I got from them was "we know nothing about plows".

So I called the dealer that sold me the truck, talked to him. They said they install plows. I asked about warranties -- the guy said ("you didn't hear it from me") that the warranty thing depends totally on the dealer. He said that at his dealership, if I came in for warranty service with a plow on, as long as the plow hadn't obviously caused direct damage, that they would fix it and not tell dodge there was a plow. ( I know this all means nothing without a signed document, but I liked what he said).

He also recommended against the "Sport duty" or "light duty" plows, and recommended the Boss Standard 7.5 foot for me (and for a much much better price).

So I think that's what I'm going with. I had a few questions -- what is the brand name of those bumpstop-like things that support the front A-arms instead of the torsion bars. I forget the name. Would those be necessary?

The two houses are about a half mile apart, so I don't see the truck driving that far with the plow on. Looks like it's easy on/easy off, so I figure it'll be off when it's not snowing.

The other thing the good dealer guy said was that the light duty plows would be pretty useless in a decent snow, as they are 6 inches shorter and would have trouble with a lot of snow.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I called the dealer that sold me the truck, talked to him. They said they install plows. I asked about warranties -- the guy said ("you didn't hear it from me") that the warranty thing depends totally on the dealer. He said that at his dealership, if I came in for warranty service with a plow on, as long as the plow hadn't obviously caused direct damage, that they would fix it and not tell dodge there was a plow. ( I know this all means nothing without a signed document, but I liked what he said).

He also recommended against the "Sport duty" or "light duty" plows, and recommended the Boss Standard 7.5 foot for me (and for a much much better price).

This sound like the right way to go, It's not like you are going into the plowing business, The new Boss comes on + off easy on flat ground

·
Registered
83 Posts
tyler711 said:
So I think that's what I'm going with. I had a few questions -- what is the brand name of those bumpstop-like things that support the front A-arms instead of the torsion bars. I forget the name. Would those be necessary?

Thanks for all the replies!
Timbrens ?? I would Definately consider them especially if going with the heavier plow on the 1500.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, timbrens was the word I needed, brain cramp. Came to me a few minutes later.

How much would a set cost? Look very easy to install, but I want to see how much sag I have before I shell out the cash.

Oh, getting a 7.5' Boss Standard duty installed this week.

Anyone know if I have to lose the tow hooks?? I wouldn't think so.
EDIT: Found the install manual online, the tow hooks can stay.

·
Can you say Hemi?
309 Posts
RESURRECTING OLD THREAD WARNING

Ok guys, I wanted to search for a relevant thread before I started a new one, and this one seemed like it covered what I was interested in for the most part. tyler711 I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I have a few other questions:

Background: My uncle owns an office building in an industrial park that's about 20 minutes from my house. The place he uses for plowing recently said they were not doing his area anymore, and he can't find anyone to take over. So, he called me today and asked me if I would be interested in putting a plow on my truck and plowing his parking lot/short entry drive/back loading area, etc. It's about a 100-car lot, not very big. He said the old plow guy did it in about 25 minutes or so. He said he'd pay me. I told him I can't afford a plow, he told me he'd pay for it. Hmmmmmm now he has my attention.

Did some research and came to pretty much ended up where tyler711 did. Looked at the boss sport duty and regular midweight. Was thinking sport duty but now after reading this thread, maybe go midweight?

I've seen people with full size plows on Dakotas for cryin' out loud, so I'm not too worried that my truck can't handle it. One thing I have heard though is about airbag deployment... what's the story w/that? Do I need to be worried about setting off my airbags if I throw a midweight plow on? Also, would I need to put on stronger front shocks or anything like that?

Thanks for any help you guys can throw at me.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry about hijacking, this thread is old and you're still on topic anyway.

I ended up with a SuperDuty plow on my truck. I thought I was getting a Standard duty, but the blade says Super so I guess that's what I have. The blade is 3 inches higher, has extra reinforcements, and the cutting edge/wear bar is a half inch thick instead of something thinner. It is also very heavy, I forget what the Boss site says, but I think it's something in the 900's?

Not too much snow this year, the biggest snowfall has been around a foot (!). But I've plowed probably around a dozen times. I have timbrens in the front, and keep 490 pounds of sand in the very back of the bed. With the plow up, the truck sits about level. I've never tried mounting the plow without the sand in (actually, the sand's been in the bed since I got the plow, my mpg's at 10.0), but I figure I'd end up with a real light rear end and lack of traction.

The ride is fine with the timbrens and plow mounted. Actually, the front is fine, but the back bottoms out on the railroad tracks near my house, but that's going pretty fast (45 mph road).

Plowing works fine, pushes fine. I've never plowed with anything else, but no complaints. I even have the stock highway tires, with 22k on them, and I'm fine (been waiting for serious snow before I get new ones). Only thing is the battery and alternator could use more power. When repeatedly lifting and dropping the plow (like back and forth for more than ten minutes, non stop) the CHECK GAGES lamp comes on and the gauge registers low voltage. Usually, one lap up and down the driveway and it's all ok again, I just make sure to leave the truck running for a while afterwards. If you're doing a big parking lot, I don't think that would ever be a problem, as you'd probably be taking long sweeps.

I know it's more wear on the truck, but it is pretty infrequent -- removing and installing is so easy (really a minute or less), that I can take the plow off as soon as it stops snowing, and put it on once it starts. I even take it off during long snowfalls, it's that easy. I figure that it's just about as bad as offroading a few times a month, hauling firewood, or any of those other things our 1500's supposedly were'nt designed to do :D .

Any questions, let me know.
Tyler

·
Can you say Hemi?
309 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info man! I saw your other thread... that plow is awesome!! I don't think I'd need anything that big though, the midweight would probably do just fine. Plus, it's like you said. Easy on, easy off. It's not like I will be driving all over creation with the thing on so I'm not too worried about F'ing up my truck.

One more question... did you have to do anything about your airbags?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.