DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the other big Dodge Ram forum but I thought this was an important enough topic to post it here too.

For those of you that have installed one of these or is thinking about it, a few things to consider. The universal joints in them are an improvement over the worn out factory shafts, but a new OEM style shaft from an aftermarket provider with upgraded needle bearings works just as well. Chrysler no longer makes these and there is no old stock available so aftermarket is your only choice. At $82 from Rock Auto for the upgraded OEM style one they are a bunch cheaper than the Borg unit. I don't know how long the Rock Auto one will last but even if it is only 65,000 miles, I can buy three of them for the price of one Borg unit.

The other thing to pay particular attention to is: make real sure you have the shaft all the way up on the steering column shaft near the firewall. Also, make sure you do not have it so far on that the shaft from the steering column protrudes below the bottom of the universal on the Borg shaft. If you put it on too far you will get a bind in your steering as you go lock to lock. Won't stop you from turning but makes a noticeable hitch you can feel. That said, better on too far than not far enough.

By the same token, make DAMN SURE YOU HAVE IT ON FAR ENOUGH! The shaft is held onto the Steering column shaft by 2 set screws and jam nuts. Even if you reef these down real tight and Blue Loctite the jam nuts they have a bad habit of coming loose. Even with the set screw on the collar that controls the expansion and length of the Borg shaft locked down tight, If you do not have the U joint far enough onto the shaft and the set screws loosen it is possible for the shaft to drop right off the steering column shaft on rough roads. With the OEM pinch bolt system this is not possible.

So there are two major weaknesses with this Borgeson shaft system, the fact you can't get the set screws and Jam nuts to permanently hold and have to check them every 5,000 miles as part of your oil change routine, and the fact that if you don't catch them you can be left with a TOTAL loss of the agility to steer the vehicle. When I lost my steering I was lucky enough to be on a back road at fairly low speed but I still ended up in the ditch and did some minor paint damage to the left front fender from scrapping things. I can just imagine what the outcome would have been at freeway speeds.

There should be a warning on the Borg install instructions stressing how critical it is that you get the u-joints in exactly the right spot on the Steering box and Steering Column shafts, that you lock the expansion collar set screw so the shaft cannot shorten, that you blue Loctite all set screws and jam nuts, and that you check all of these set screws and nuts every 5000 miles.

While I like the feel of the Borg unit I am convinced I am going to go back to an OEM style shaft. After having the shaft fall of once about 2 years ago, and loosen up now three times in less than 20,000 miles, I just can't be comfortable that this is a really safe arrangement. If anyone has a fix for these issues I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
thank you for the post.
I have dialed in this truck for years. my 96 now runs on rails!
I may and do tend to stick to oem quality parts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was seriously thinking about buying a Borgeson for my 01. But after reading this I’m gonna head over time Rock Auto. Thanks for the post!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts