DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I backed my '05 Magnum RT out of its spot in the garage to give it a good washing today. To my astonishment, the body-side moldings now have little white spots all over them! I never drive this car (it still has only 360 miles on the odometer). Therefore, I cannot blame it on overexposure to the sun-LOL! I live in the Deep South so no caustic materials (salts) were put on the roads in the Winter. I'm guessing moisture (it is awfully humid here a large part of the year) has gotten behind the molding and is the culprit. But, these are small spots, not large areas of discoloration. Has anyone else had this happen to their car's molding? If so was it expensive to replace? Is this something I can do myself or would I have to take it to the dealer? I see this molding offered on Ebay and from aftermarket sources on the Internet. Are these moldings the same as the factory installed molding on my car?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Greg McDonnell

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow, only 360 miles on a 2005??? Looks like you'll have a collectors item a few years down the road. Sounds like you have corrosion on the "chrome" trim. Note this isn't the traditional heavy duty blue chrome you used to see on bumpers and other car parts back in the day. The white chrome on the molding is just a cheap strip of metal with a thin plating. I would live it for as long as you can and then eventually replace the entire molding with new replacement parts. Removing the old molding can nick up the paint a bit, so I would wait as long as possible.

·
Registered
239 Posts
so how do go about removing those chrome lower panels? i have em and want em removed. i don't wanna nick the paint if i can help it, even though the paint is FAR from perfect. i thought i could do the fishing line but not strong enough.... any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hair dryer, goo gone, thin plastic putty knife, micro fiber cloth

heat it up a bit, put cloth over putty knife and pour goo gone above the moulding and then some more as you peel it off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.