DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need your help guys. i want a 5 inch suspension. but im gettin my 315s this week and i cant afford a suspension right now .if i get a 3 in body lift or custom make one at skool would i like it or do u think not.

right now i got 33" on and i dont think the 315s will fit but i really need some feedback. seeing how im only 15 and i wanna get my truck dun before i get my drivers license. i have almost everything else dun but the lift and some interior. but neway tell me what u think about the lift.

1994 Dodge Ram 4x4 :rck:
5.9 liter v8
holly high performance throttle body
33" kuhmo mud terrians
american racing rims
soon to be 315 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
on progressive rims

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I'm 15 and I'm trying to get 11" lift and 40"s tires on my truck before I get my license, but I've only got 3 more months. You're going to need the body lift to fit 315's on to your truck. Body lifts aren't bad and it will allow you to fit the 315's on the truck and then later on you can go ahead and get the suspension lift. I wouldn't really make one, due to the fact that you can buy a Performance Accesories BK for a little under $200.

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
3" body lift and a 2" coil spacer for 315s or 35s. For 11" you could go with a 3" body,5" suspension lift with new coils and new leaf springs, a 3" coil spacer and a 3" AAL or 3" blocks on top of the stock blocks (if you like to live dangerously). Or have a shop custom make the whole lift. You will hear you cant fit 40s on or the front axle wont handle them, but if thats what you want man, go for it. It will be F*ing cool while it lasts!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how the hell can u afford that. and please dont tell me that is gonna be your daily driver.. but thanx for the feedback

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I have a 6" lift and 35" tires right now. I actually bought the thing on Ebay a month ago and I've been waiting for it. I just got it tonight and all I have to say is that it's alot bigger then in the pictures. So I think all I really need is a 3" body along with some 37" or 38" tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is too 2k1DurangoR/T

now about the 2" coil spacers. my truck already sits level so do i still need them. and i was thinkin bout gettin new shocks. what would u recomend.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You truck may sit level, but the 2" coil spacers will add more room for you to fit 35" tires. You may also need shocks depending on how long your stock ones are. Some of the best around are Bilstein and Rancho.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Cool... 2 people to help out in 1 thread.

First off... BigRam360, and H Justin H on your first trucks. They're a heck of a lot nicer than mine were at that age.

BR360 - a 2" coil spacer may or may not work for you. I'm a little confused on how your truck can be sitting level right now without a couple of things happening. You could have aftermarket springs up front. You could have worn leaf's in the rear. Or you could already have coil spacers. I can't remember seeing a 2nd Gen Ram 4x4 sitting level from the factory.

If you add the 2" spacers to an already level truck, then obviously the front end is going to sit higher. That means now you've got to do something with the rear of the truck. A coil spacer, regardless of height, is going to pull your front axle back towards the cab of the truck. This is where you're tires will rub.

If it were me and my truck, I'd go the body lift route. Our trucks hide body lifts very, very well. There's not a nasty gap between the body and the frame like there is on most trucks with body lifts. a 3" body lift from Performance Accessories will set you back between $200 and $300 - that's just in parts. You can guestimate the same to pay someone to install it. You do need to know how to weld to do the install, but it's not a project that can't be done by the average weekend mechanic. Also check you're local 4x4 boards to see if there's someone there that would be willing to work for pizza and beer (provided by your parent's of course!). I work for pizza and beer all the time.

H Justin H.... A 6" lift and 35's is a great place to start. My recommendation is to drive your truck HOW IT IS for at least a couple of months. That way you can learn the truck, see how it likes to drive, and see if there's any weak spots in the truck (tranny, axles, etc). After you've gotten bored with it, then do the 3" body and throw some 37's or 38's underneath it.

Fer both of ya in regards to shocks. There's as many different opinions on shocks as there are members here. A good rule of thumb - you get what you pay for. If you buy cheapo shocks, you'll feel it in your teeth when your bouncing all over the road. Spend the money and get the "nice" shocks, and you'll be happy with them. I think someone mentioned Bilsteen and Rancho. I'll second both of those.

And seems how both of you are in high school, it is very important that you remember these two things:
1) Chicks love BIG trucks!
2) Fat chicks can't jump!

Enjoy your truck's and good luck to both of ya!

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
BigRam360 said:
this is too 2k1DurangoR/T

now about the 2" coil spacers. my truck already sits level so do i still need them. and i was thinkin bout gettin new shocks. what would u recomend.
I'd recommend the Rancho RS9000X. 4 for $364 at 4wheelparts. com. If your trucks level now I would go with the coil spacer and a 2" AAL for the rear. I'd be glad to work for beer :drink: . I'm only 2 hours from the ATL.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
01_OffRoad said:
Cool... 2 people to help out in 1 thread.

First off... BigRam360, and H Justin H on your first trucks. They're a heck of a lot nicer than mine were at that age.

BR360 - a 2" coil spacer may or may not work for you. I'm a little confused on how your truck can be sitting level right now without a couple of things happening. You could have aftermarket springs up front. You could have worn leaf's in the rear. Or you could already have coil spacers. I can't remember seeing a 2nd Gen Ram 4x4 sitting level from the factory.

If you add the 2" spacers to an already level truck, then obviously the front end is going to sit higher. That means now you've got to do something with the rear of the truck. A coil spacer, regardless of height, is going to pull your front axle back towards the cab of the truck. This is where you're tires will rub.

If it were me and my truck, I'd go the body lift route. Our trucks hide body lifts very, very well. There's not a nasty gap between the body and the frame like there is on most trucks with body lifts. a 3" body lift from Performance Accessories will set you back between $200 and $300 - that's just in parts. You can guestimate the same to pay someone to install it. You do need to know how to weld to do the install, but it's not a project that can't be done by the average weekend mechanic. Also check you're local 4x4 boards to see if there's someone there that would be willing to work for pizza and beer (provided by your parent's of course!). I work for pizza and beer all the time.

H Justin H.... A 6" lift and 35's is a great place to start. My recommendation is to drive your truck HOW IT IS for at least a couple of months. That way you can learn the truck, see how it likes to drive, and see if there's any weak spots in the truck (tranny, axles, etc). After you've gotten bored with it, then do the 3" body and throw some 37's or 38's underneath it.

Fer both of ya in regards to shocks. There's as many different opinions on shocks as there are members here. A good rule of thumb - you get what you pay for. If you buy cheapo shocks, you'll feel it in your teeth when your bouncing all over the road. Spend the money and get the "nice" shocks, and you'll be happy with them. I think someone mentioned Bilsteen and Rancho. I'll second both of those.

And seems how both of you are in high school, it is very important that you remember these two things:
1) Chicks love BIG trucks!
2) Fat chicks can't jump!

Enjoy your truck's and good luck to both of ya!
Cheap shocks won't matter if your suspension is stiff as heck which a AAL will do. My lift came with pretty good shocks but since it's a 2500 and I put a AAL it rides like SO rough, but then again your young you shouldn't mind it :D

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
[/QUOTE]Cheap shocks won't matter if your suspension is stiff as heck which a AAL will do. My lift came with pretty good shocks but since it's a 2500 and I put a AAL it rides like SO rough, but then again your young you shouldn't mind it
The way I look at it is its a 4WD its gonna be rough ridin, espesially in the mud. Get a Cadillac if you want a smooth ride. Nah, these youngens don't mind! You just need good shocks to keep from bouncin all over the highway.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Cheap shocks won't matter if your suspension is stiff as heck which a AAL will do. My lift came with pretty good shocks but since it's a 2500 and I put a AAL it rides like SO rough, but then again your young you shouldn't mind it
The way I look at it is its a 4WD its gonna be rough ridin, espesially in the mud. Get a Cadillac if you want a smooth ride. Nah, these youngens don't mind! You just need good shocks to keep from bouncin all over the highway.
I'm 17 and i'm tired of the rough ride of my truck already :eek: but I didn't find the 1500 bad with 33" tires. But it's because I drive on ROUGH rodes to school everyday, one intersection is so rough I can only go about 10mph and my truck still gets shooken up like hell, and my suspension will not even move. The other bad part of big tires is on roads were a lot of semis go and there are huge ridges in the road the tires will pull around everywhere, but you can't go wrong lifting :rck:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
mocho said:
I'm 17 and i'm tired of the rough ride of my truck already :eek: but I didn't find the 1500 bad with 33" tires. But it's because I drive on ROUGH rodes to school everyday, one intersection is so rough I can only go about 10mph and my truck still gets shooken up like hell, and my suspension will not even move. The other bad part of big tires is on roads were a lot of semis go and there are huge ridges in the road the tires will pull around everywhere, but you can't go wrong lifting :rck:
How thick is your rear add-a-leaf? My AAL was fairly thin, and I didn't notice hardly any difference in the ride. What kinda shocks did you say you're using? If your truck is riding that poorly, I'd look into different rear lift options (like a block or a new leaf pack), and possibly some MUCH softer shocks. If you've got dual shocks in the front, take 'em out.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
01_OffRoad said:
How thick is your rear add-a-leaf? My AAL was fairly thin, and I didn't notice hardly any difference in the ride. What kinda shocks did you say you're using? If your truck is riding that poorly, I'd look into different rear lift options (like a block or a new leaf pack), and possibly some MUCH softer shocks. If you've got dual shocks in the front, take 'em out.
It's a 2" the actual thing is probaly 1/2" maybe a bit more, i'm also running a 1.5" block. The shocks are just Skyjacker, from the basic kit, no dual shocks. Also i'm no longer worried about it, i'm selling the truck, the sale is pending right now actully. I'm just going to buy a cheaper 1500 and put some 40's on it and spend half the cash, and then buy other trucks to turn around for $$.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If you've got dual shocks in the front, take 'em out.
I'm curious about why you say this. I was thinking about getting a dual kit.
That was directed towards Mocho with his 2500 CTD. His springs are already going to be much stiffer than ours are with a 1500. I've actually got the dual shocks up front on mine. Love 'em. But if Mocho was complaining about the ride and he did have them, it would soften the ride significantly by removing one set of shocks.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
I was thinking about making the shock brackets myself. Cut like a T-bone shape (closest thing I could think of), drill holes for the shocks and three for the tower bolts and mount it in between the tower and the frame. Then put a longer bolt in the top control arm to mount the bottom of the shock. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
2k1DurangoR/T said:
I was thinking about making the shock brackets myself. Cut like a T-bone shape (closest thing I could think of), drill holes for the shocks and three for the tower bolts and mount it in between the tower and the frame. Then put a longer bolt in the top control arm to mount the bottom of the shock. What do you think?
Sounds similar to Top Gun Customz dual shock bracket (it's what I'm using). Check out their site for ideas. I don't see why anyone couldn't make this thing themselves (provided they have the right equipment).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.