DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a phone call to a local and trusted off-road shop in town to price a PA 3" body lift for my 2006 1500 QC 4x4. He priced me at $1187 out the door. This price seems kind of steep to me, but I've never put one on before. How much have you guys paid for yours out the door? Also, if anyone is located in the Cincinnati area and has the resources and skills to install a body lift please let me know. I can buy one off ebay and maybe have someone install it. I've included a pic of my truck to give you an idea of what I'm working with, thanks for your help. :gr_patrio

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do it yourself! It's really not hard. 6 bolts. You'll need a jack, some wood (to extend the jack), and some simple hand tools. It might not hurt to get an alignment after the install.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am in the process of installing mine, the relocating is what takes up your time. Installing the lift blocks is quick.

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do it yourself! It's really not hard. 6 bolts. You'll need a jack, some wood (to extend the jack), and some simple hand tools. It might not hurt to get an alignment after the install.
Really!?! Did you do yours? If it seems simple, then why would the shop quote me at 11 hrs of labor. Besides the probabality of him overcharging me to make money, maybe there is something about the install that I don't know. That's not a bad idea though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Myself and 2 friends in a garage. Like I said, it's straight up simple. We did it in a day...and NONE of us had ever installed one before. I'd do it yourself, and bank the install money towards a set of tires, or another mod!

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in the process of installing mine, the relocating is what takes up your time. Installing the lift blocks is quick.
What do you mean my relocating?...the bumpers?

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys might have me convinced to do it myself once the weather warms up. Please if anyone has any more useful info I would appreciate it. I do like the fact of saving about $800 in labor....That just sounded like a complete rip off!

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's just little stuff like hoses and brackets. The hardest for me so far has been getting the bolt loose to remove the steering shaft from the rack and pinion. Just take your time and invite some friends over for beer and to help.

I have been working by myself and have about 4 hours in so far. If you have help you can get it done much quicker.

·
2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,435 Posts
i havent installed one but im willing to help! im thinking of one myself

·
Registered
293 Posts
As others have said, do it yourself, get plenty of friends, some BBQ, beers (after you finish) and multiple copies of the instructions before hand.... and all should go well....

an aside, I got a 6" suspension installed a year ago for 1000.00.

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What else are you wanting to know?
I just did a google search about install instructions but it was for a silverado, but I did get some good questions about the whole install. Was it hard to extend the steering wheel shaft? Did you have to extend any brake lines or the fuel fill neck? I just talked to my brother (joeuc23) and he is willing to help. Between the two of us we should have enough tools and hopefully enough common sense. I'm really wanting to get a hold of the instructions for our trucks specifically.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes, you have to extend the full neck, and the steering really isn't hard. The whole kit is rather straight forward.

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, you have to extend the full neck, and the steering really isn't hard. The whole kit is rather straight forward.
Thanks for all the info. Pretty much I need to stop being such a woman and just order the kit. I'll be sure to post pics when done.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
It took me and my buddy an entire day. There was nothig that was difficult, it was just a bunch of little things that were time consuming. This really is a DIY mod.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just finished mine. Here's the thread. I was just like you, wondering if I could do it or not, but I took the same advice you're getting. It's nothing to complex, just a lot of little things. I worked by myself, with the exception of help holding the front bumper up while I bolted it back down. I spent most of a Saturday and about 3 nights after work. With a helper, it would easily be a weekend project.

Here's the instructions for your truck if you want to look at them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I did mine 2 years ago when I was 16. By myself it took me 8 hours. The hardest thing to do was the PITA fan shroud. The steering link is very easy and everything was pretty self explanatory. You should have no problem. 8 cab bolts and 4 bed bolts with 4 blocks you have to weld into place. The install price you got is fairly typical. Automotive places HATE doing body lifts. Most of the time they will charge less to do a full suspension lift.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
yeah, that fan shroud is a HUGE pita. It's easier to just switch to an e-fan while you're at it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.