DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, started my truck this morning and a huge puff of blue smoke came out of the pipes! WTF? Does this mean it's burning oil, running to rich, or to lean? I've heard all sorts of answers, I'm sure glad I have the lifetime warranty, but this is uncalled for at 11,000 miles!:bawl:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Blue/gray smoke is usually a sign of burning oil. Black smoke would be indicative of burning excess fuel.

Are you sure it wasn't just condensation? Did it smell?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue/gray smoke is usually a sign of burning oil. Black smoke would be indicative of burning excess fuel.

Are you sure it wasn't just condensation? Did it smell?
I think it's oil like you said, and I did not get a whiff of it...... and I'm sure it wasn't condensation, it was blue for sure!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not that I noticed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it's time to trade for a cummins!:D

·
Real Men Drive Mopars!
1,122 Posts
only at start up? sounds like valve seals!

·
Agent Orange!
4,280 Posts
Damn that sux! Did you recently change the oil or anything like that?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed the oil about 1300 miles ago Adidas_kn. This kind of crap always happens to me, I guess I have some bad luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How long was the the drive before parking it?

Mine does the same thing after I've started it, pull out of the driveway, and park it on the side of the road then come back and start it after a few hours. In fact, it did it this afternoon when I got home from work. I moved the truck to the curb this morning so I could get the Harley out of the garage.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How long was the the drive before parking it?

Mine does the same thing after I've started it, pull out of the driveway, and park it on the side of the road then come back and start it after a few hours. In fact, it did it this afternoon when I got home from work. I moved the truck to the curb this morning so I could get the Harley out of the garage.
That is basically what I did, I started the truck backed it up 20 feet then shut it off so I could get mike motorcycle out of my shed. The next day when I started it is when I saw the smoke......I've never seen it do this before until that morning! It's not really good say, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a similar issue.:ugh It just makes me mad that a one year old truck smokes when you start it!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive always used my command start so i have never noticed but im sure going to watch for it now! Good thing you have warranty, at least for you yanks its lifetime, here we pay the same price for the warranty and its just 200,000 km or 5 years, guess we are harder on our trucks

·
Registered
329 Posts
It could be a leaky injector too. I've seen engines smoke blue some when they run rich. The reason for this is that the excess gasoline "wipes" the slight film of oil off the cylinder walls, causing it to burn along with the gas. If an injector was leaking into a cylinder when the truck was off, you might well get a puff of blue smoke until that cylinder had burned off the oil and gas mixture.

The other likely scenario of course, is the valve seals as someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You'll be fine. My previous two Fords had the same issues and they went well over a 100,000 miles. I am waiting for this truck to do it also. One thing I did do is stopped using Fram filters, not sure if that was the issue or not.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Ford Modular engines had some pretty big issues with their valve stem seals. Fine while running, but when it sits overnight, oil works its way down passed the valve stem seals and into the cylinder.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The weird part about it is that they both smoked on start up at about the 60,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have owned two 5.7L Hemi trucks and a SRT8. All of them have experienced this blue smoke at start-up at some point. It appears to be a more common issue to a short vehicle move, although, it would also occasionally happen after a very short drive as well(say operating temp not reached or just barely). None of the vehicles ever had a problem and I still have the 07 truck and it runs fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.