DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 03 ram 2500 5.7l with 125000 km in January. It has all maintenance records since it was new. All recommended services were done on it and it is in excellent shape. This morning on my way to work it suddenly went from running perfect to not accelerating and making awful noises. Got it towed to a mechanic and he said he thinks a valve spring broke and toasted the motor. I bought it privately for $12000. Is it worth putting another $10000 into or whatever for a crate motor ? Any ideas?

·
Registered
252 Posts
What it's worth is for you to decide, but I'd be looking at repairing the existing engine...

A valve spring could lead to a valve head through a piston, probably damage to the head.

A new set of pistons, new bearings, replace the head, valves and springs and it should be like new.

I can't see that costing anything like $10,000. On a do-it-yourself basis I'd think you'd be out of it for $2,000 and a few weekends of work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. The guy at the shop pulled the cover off and said the valve looks fine and is moving properly. Maybe the motors not toast. Hes going to replace that spring and hopefully it didnt do any more damage. Seems like a smart idea to get the othe 15 springs changed for the 6.1's. My question is, is there possibly something else that caused the spring to break? Should I be replacing just the springs or should I look for replacement heads? I know other people have had this issue with the 2003 5.7l. I'd love to hear about what other people have done and their experiences with this problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I can't possibly see it 'making awful noises' without something else coming in contact with the valve. That means the piston had to be hitting the valve.

Do these engines have double valve springs?

It's really doubtful that anything would have got in there to cause the spring to break, it's just a faulty spring. And for sure I would change them all, if there's a double spring aftermarket set you could instal I think that would be a good idea.

Has your mechanic done a compression test or cylinder leakdown test with a spring installed on that valve?

The head will not need replacing unless there's a serious dent in the valve seat. I'd be more worried about the piston, much more vulnerable and much harder to replace.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Mine broke an exhaust valve spring on the passenger side, number 6. I opened it up and replaced all the springs for about $600. Not a "walk in the park", but not a nightmare either. The symptom was no idle and sounded like crap when it ran. Fortunately for me, the spring broke while idling in a parking lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I't does have double valve springs. The shop was closed down for the long weekend but when He gets the new spring in I will make sure he does a compression and leak down test. Really hope it didnt do damage to the piston but I want to be sure or I'll always worry.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A broken valve spring will normally not "destroy" a motor. It's entirely possible for the piston to hit the opened valve, but it will simply push it closed again. It'll make a lot of noise, but no real damage done. I knew a guy once, looked just like me, even had the same name, reassembled an engine with a small bit of iron flash in one of the cylinders, on startup it got caught between the piston and head, sounded horrible, like a hammer hitting the block. Sounded like the engine was indeed destroyed. Took it apart, found the piece, the only "damage" was a small divot it left in the piston, where it was stuck. Took it out, reassembled, engine worked fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you certain it is a broken spring? Have heard of similar noise from a loose valve seat. According to my rebuilder the hemi's are somewhat prone to this. Even the 4.7's at about 200+k, though mine has 240k with no such issues. Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
252 Posts
One would think not if the valve is truly 'moving properly' as stated by the mechanic...

But if a dropped seat broke up that would also be the case.

·
Red Trucker
2,083 Posts
Do not use 6.1 springs if you're keeping the stock 5.7 cam. 6.1 springs & pushrods are designed to work with the 6.1 cam base circle, which is a different size than the 5.7. Aftermarket cams use the 6.1 base circle. Clearances would be off. Having a 2003 you could put a Comp 260 in and it would run on a Superchips 91 canned tune (VERY limited on tuning for the 2003); the 260 uses the 6.1 base circle and would be fine with the 6.1 springs and pushrods. If not, then use newer updated OEM style/spec 5.7 springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The spring was definitely broken the mechanic showed me both pieces and from reading about it on the net it's not uncommon for the 2003 5.7 springs to break. He replaced the spring with the upgraded oem spring with the cage around it. Got te truck back today and it sounds clean other than it is misfiring on that cylinder. He told me to drive it like that for a week and lots of the time the valve will re-seat itself. If not I will need a new valve. I'm sceptical about that but off the top of his head he figured it would be 10 hours to change the valve so I hope it does ort it self out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2012 5.7L broke a valve spring on cylinder 3 at 108K miles during a trip out west. Engine sounded like it was coming apart and would not run at idle. Had to have it towed to a local dealership. First time it had been in the shop for anything. Upon inspection, all the other springs were intact and there was no damage to any other components. The mechanic let me look over the engine with him to verify. He replaced the one spring and put everything back together. Truck is now at 126K and running like new. If I have any more springs break, I'll consider replacing them all.

Good luck with getting your ride fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update, as I assumed the misfire didnt fix itself. Big surprise. I took it to the shop I would usually use and turns out the misfire wasn't on the same cylinder that had the broken spring. The rod wasn't connected to the rocker on a different cylinder. I had asked the shop that fixed the spring if they did a compression test/ leak down test but he said it would just tell him what he already knows, the valve is leaking. Should have insisted on the tests but anyway they offered right away to cover the other guys bill and the truck is running good again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an 03 ram 2500 5.7l with 125000 km in January. It has all maintenance records since it was new. All recommended reverse image search email checker port checker services were done on it and it is in excellent shape. This morning on my way to work it suddenly went from running perfect to not accelerating and making awful noises. Got it towed to a mechanic and he said he thinks a valve spring broke and toasted the motor. I bought it privately for $12000. Is it worth putting another $10000 into or whatever for a crate motor ? Any ideas?
Have heard of similar noise from a loose valve seat. According to my rebuilder the hemi's are somewhat prone to this. Even the 4.7's at about 200+k, though mine has 240k with no such issues. Anyone else heard of this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts