DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2001 Durango has electrical problems. The radio, inside lights, and garage door opener are all out (that's all we've noticed so far). The fuse for the radio is fine, but the one for the interior lights was blown. I replaced it and the new one immediately blew. Does anyone have a good guess as to where to start to track down the short? Or should I just get a box of fuses and start hunting? Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
827 Posts
what I do is (don't laugh now) install a headlight. YES. A HEADLIGHT!! sealed beam that i've attached jumpers to with spades. install it across fuse terminals. you've got a dead short to ground and fuse blows NOW but headlight will take the load and shine bright.MAKE SURE HEADLIGHT IS NOT ON CARPET, SEAT ETC. IT WILL GET HOT!!! now start disconnecting obvious things. open and close doors, wiggle wires in door jams, unplug headlight switch, etc. when light goes out the short is PAST that piont in the wiring. start with easy to get to items including bulbs one at a time to isolate where the short is. see the attached wiring diagram, it should help. good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
check the tail lights the mount with some funny things that can short if some one installed them wrong

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. Another thing she noticed is that the "Check 4WD" light had been on for a couple of weeks. The Durango is not 4WD, so we didn't pay any attention to the light. However, the light is now out, but the other warning lights come on when the key is first turned on. Maybe no connection, but maybe someone else had the same problem.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
fuses 1,9,+ 18 feed base audio system, 3,9,+18 on the infinity

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.