DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody show me a picture of where I plug in the block heater cord... I can't find it for Sh*t.....

Thanks...

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Yep, what he said.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Just look behind and slightly to the rear of the oil filter. You will see the heater plugged into the side of the block. On my new truck there was a black plastic screw on cap that I had to remove in order to put the cord on...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here we go. It was easier to get underneath the truck and plug it in. Took 5 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I love that thing. Ever since the other cars and kids toys kicked my CTD out of the garage it keeps my windows defrosted.

Any one see any harm in leaving it plugged in every night even though it isn't really cold out?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't imagine it will hurt anything except your electric bill. I believe it's 750 watts. Figure that will add $30 per month if you run it for 8 hours a day.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I plug it in every night that its under 50*F, thats what the manual recommends. Or was it 40*F, close enough.

senglehart, its not a constant draw right? Is there a pump or something that circulates the coolant or does it just heat whats in the block?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It looks to me like a big dumb resistance heater, constant drain. It would nice to have thermostatically controlled one.

I planned on picking up a timer. I have to wait until it gets cold, first.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
My "wait to start" little do-hickey has been staying on for about 10 seconds or so for the first start in the morning and it's not even cold yet here in Nor Cal (maybe 50* at the coldest). I've never needed the block heater because I've always been garaged, but this winter will be the first I'm not. I wonder if I'll need one.....?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got a timer for your christmas lights- use it. Set it to come on a couple hours before you leave in the morning.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been in the U.P. here in MICH. when it was -12 air temp and I went to a holtel not knowing that they had pole all over that you could plug in, so I didn't bring a cord (dumb-a!!) well it started fine after a few min. waiting on the block heater to warm up but man did it rattle.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
BIGBADDODGE said:
I have been in the U.P. here in MICH. when it was -12 air temp and I went to a holtel not knowing that they had pole all over that you could plug in, so I didn't bring a cord (dumb-a!!) well it started fine after a few min. waiting on the block heater to warm up but man did it rattle.
Really? I'd plug that thing in as soon as I parked it! That's on somebody else's bill.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I got a heavy duty timer for mine. It does pull some juice and will burn up a little light amperage timer. I like to come home and plug it in so I don't forget and let the timer come on at about 3AM. I used to get up early and run out in the cold and plug it in and run back in, jump in bed for a little while then get up and shower, etc. Soon learned that SUCKED! As far as it cycling, NO, it is a dumb resistance heater just like the element in an electric water heater. Unlike the water heater there is no thermostat to control the electrical source to it, when it is plugged in, it will get hot. It does not have a pump, it is located low in the engine coolant and the warm coolant will flow up and just like ocean currents when the warm fluid rises, the cooler fluid is pushed down somewhere else creating a current of warmer and warmer coolant fluid through the engine. I think that's about as clear as it gets ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks magoo, that makes sense. I did end up burning out my cheap ass timer. It had a pretty low amp rating, so I kinda figured it wouldn't last long. Where did you get a heavy duty one?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bought a thermostat thingy for mine from my power company up here "GVEA" Golden Valley Electric Association....it is mounted to my heater hose going to my cab...read my sig.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On my 04 i never plugged it in, one week yes a week it didnt get above 0 degrees at my house, My dad called two mornings to see if truck started i said hang on ran out started right up. he said in that case stop and pick me up i need a ride the powerstroke wont. Then it was a challenge so i didnt plug it in and it was fine. just turn the key on 3 times and let the light go out each time. No problem then if you forget ar cant plug it in.

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
I have never plugged a CTD in yet. Mine sits outside at night when I am at work for 10 hours and has never let me down even when we are sub zero temperature. Remote start and a 10 minute warmup is all I need.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.