DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'11 Challenger Owner
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking this is the right place to put this... Anywho my truck from day 1 has had black soot build up on the tip of the exhaust pipe, reaching no futher than about an inch on the outside, and the inside is completely covered. I can wash it off and it will just build back up in a few weeks. I'm getting about 16 mpg average with the way I drive my v6 so I'm thinking it's just a byproduct of a v6 using that much gas. The dealer told me everything's normal, and they didn't see a problem with this black stuff. Anyone else got this going on? I just recently added a kandn fipk and it seems to have made it worse, but I have been taking advantage of that extra power. I keep fuel system cleaner going through regularly and change with full syn. oil every 6,000 miles, plus I've had a kandn filter in it from day 1 now it's a bigger filter with the fipk. :help:

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
when a fire burns you get smoke and soot... when 6 little fires ignite through a 2 inch pipe, the soot shows at the end of the pipe.. normal..

·
'11 Challenger Owner
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, see I was just curious cuz I know of a x-150 :D with the 4.6 v8 that doesn't put out much at all if any while getting about 18 mpg. But, I guess given that good ole dodge engines put out more power for the size that means dumping a bit more gas in. I'd hate to see what the inside of my combustion chamber and exhaust valves look like... :eek:
While I'm on this subject and totally related... I've been thinking about getting the gumout professional 2 step service done. Anyone done it? It's only 20 bucks for a chemical sucked in by a vacuum line and a stronger tank additive. I recently cleaned the throttle body myself and boy did it smooth out the idle. Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 05 3.7L / V6 has the same sooty spot / same reason

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Yea I get that all the time. BTW if you dont mind me asking, Ive never heard of a sxt model... what package is that?

·
Registered
768 Posts
It is unleaded fuel, not amount of cylinders or displacement. More displacement, and more cylinders could possibly make it less noticeable, not sure, but it is the unleaded fuel and is normal. Back during the day of tetra-ethyl lead being added to fuel a quick indication of the condition of an engine was the color of the tailpipe(s). If they were light brownish tan the engine was operating efficiently, tuned properly, that was the presence of LEAD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.