DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a 2006 hemi ram rc/sb. i really love the truck and have put about 3,500 miles on it so far. Lately, i have noticed a lot of black soot in my tail pipe but my motor isn't consuming any oil. This isn't just a little bit of soot, even the spot where i park my truck has black all over the floor where my tail pipe sits over. Is this just how dirty these newer hemi's run because my old 5.9 liter ram didn't have any black in the tail pipe???

thanks guys

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 04 At 35,000 Miles Had No Soot At All... I Had S/s Magnaflow Tips And Never Had To Wipe Out The Inside...

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Doesnt seem right for that much to come out.

·
Banned
508 Posts
add some longtube headers and it should go away. it just sounds like your running a little rich for some reason? which if you were adding headers, may mean a positive POWER increase.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2006 also has alot of soot in tailpipe...wonder whats going on ? All i have done is added the superchips tuner.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Possible a malfunctioning MDS system? maybe the computer isn't turning off the injectors, so unburnt fuel is going though the cat?

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
My '06 doesn't leave the soot you're seeing from your vehicle other than on the inside of the tailpipe. If you go to dodge's website and do a comparo of our trucks vs say a Titan you'll see that the Hemi produces a lot more pollution than the 5.6 Endurance in the Nissan. From what I've seen on state emission inspection reports the Hemi runs pretty dirty by NJ standards. Comes closer to failing when bone stock than most newer vehicles, including other trucks in it's class. DC must have walked a fine line between performance and emissions leaning towards the performance.

Maybe that could be why you're seeing the soot, or you're not driving it hard enough to clear out all the gunk. :D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
NJDodger said:
...Comes closer to failing when bone stock than most newer vehicles, including other trucks in it's class. DC must have walked a fine line between performance and emissions leaning towards the performance.
They did. Originally they planned for a true hemi head but couldn't get anything to pass emmisions so they had to modify it with the new head design and still use 2 spark plugs to pass emmisions laws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.