DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup everyone i'm new here tring to find my way around. i'm having a problem with my grandfathers 88 ram LE 250. it's running rich as hell with black smoke coming out the exhaust. i'm worried its the piston rings. i going to do a compression test for starters. i just want a little imput from you experts. i don't know much about this car or dodge. i'm a mazda guy. thanks for any imput!! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i hope that mazda statement isn't keeping everyone away. please i really need your help. i change the pcv valve and crankcase filter, and sprayed carb cleaner in and around the carb. it helped some and the idle is much better, but still a little rich.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You could be looking at an oxygen sensor problem. Before replacing it, check the wire(s) going to it for damage. Next step would be a rebuilt carb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
o.k. i'm going to replace the o2 sensor. but when i was underneith the van i saw a metal pipe about a half inch in diameter coming off the catalatic converter. however it is rusted out and have no idea where i was suppose to go? any ideas?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The is for the emissions system. It should go up to the air pump.

·
Registered
146 Posts
if that pipe is rusted out, u will need to replace it, or it will continue to run rich. catco makes a 50 state legal catalytic converter with that little pipe for $99.00 from sumit. I hope this helps.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
Dont worry about the piston rings. A ring problem would have "blue" smoke from the exhaust.

Black smoke = rich fuel mixture.
Blue somke = oil burning.
White smoke that evaporates = water getting in the cylinders somehow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^
o.k. sometimes i have noticed that there is white smoke coming from the exhaust. what could cause water to get into the cumbustion chamber? there's no way water is getting in the intake. what else could it be, coolent leak???

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Shewwwww! That engine needs a steam cleanin' ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.