DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The only blacked out grills that I've seen are ones that members here have painted themselves.

·
Jimbo1102
161 Posts
I have powder coated a few in Black. I have seen a pic of one of them installed with the surrounding factory grill powder coated black. I believe what he did was order a surround from the base model (flat gray) and then powder coated that black. You could probably paint over the chrome if it was scuffed enough for the paint to bond.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wasn't aware that Dodge makes a non-chrome grill surround for our durangos. Even the ones with hubcaps and non-painted bumpers are chrome. Do you have a part number?
On the subject of painting over chrome, I've tried that before and it looks great for a hot minute, then go for a drive on the freeway, and the rocks/bugs will cause the grill to chip, then the paint will start to flake. If you are contemplating painting over the chrome, I'd ask a reputable body shop if they would do it and I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing, they wouldn't because you'd be back in a week asking for your money back. Again just my opinion......

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
^yep. I spray canned it - but i expect to take it to a body shop by Spring for a real cover coat. No regrets - it does look great on my truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.