DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to wash the truck today and seen a awful black exhaust residue on the bumper. I tried to get it off and had to use some other methods to get it off. Is this normal or is this a sign of something wrong? The motor is a stock 4.7L with just the K&N drop in filter.
Thanks

Tatakai

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Black residue usually means that a vehicle is running really rich. I don't know how that could happen with computer controlled vehicle though. Anyone else have any ideas?
:huh:

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
If it's to the point of getting black on the bumper you must be running very rich. A little black on the exhaust pipe is ok but not according to what you said.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Without a doubt you shouldn't see this with today's computer controlled vehicles. If it isn't the obvious (running rich), start looking at the probable. What else could be causing a build-up like this? Fouled plugs? Something else causing incomplete combustion?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mileage is 22868 as of this moment. Guess I should take it into the dealership and have them look into it. Will the Warranty take care of something like this? Thanks

Tatakai

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Any CEL? Possible o2 sensor or IAT sensor irregularities will make it run rich

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I would definitely take it to the dealer. It should be covered under warranty since you are under 36000 miles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CEL? Whats that, I am stilll trying to figure out some of the Lingo. Thanks

Tatakai

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't I feel like a dope!! Thanks

Tatakai

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
For some reason some dodge vehicles leave black residue in the pipes and some don't. I had 2 v6 Dakotas and the first one left the tailpipe black. I had duals on it and needed to clean the pipes all the time. Then on the 2nd one the pipes were always super clean, even light look of rust. Same motor, same mods, same driving style two different outcomes. Now with the ram, the pipes are swept in front of the pass rear tire, so they are in plain view all the time. I am having to constantly clean the inside of the tips to keep them clean, they always seem to have a black dusting after about 4-5 days. I have taken it to the dealership for this problem, and they told me that is just the way it is... WTF?? How can several of the same vehicles have several different outcomes???? I guess I have to chalk it up to the assemblers in the plant paying more attention the tolerances than others...

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Tatakai said:
I went to wash the truck today and seen a awful black exhaust residue on the bumper. I tried to get it off and had to use some other methods to get it off. Is this normal or is this a sign of something wrong? The motor is a stock 4.7L with just the K&N drop in filter.
Thanks

Tatakai
maybe it has something to do with the intake.....anyhow...put the stock air box back on and then take it in. the last thing you need is something wrong with your motor and then having to deal with the dealership not wanting to warranty the motor because of something you altered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.