DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you tried Bio-Diesel? I hear it's better for your motor when mixed @20% with regular D-fuel and it's made from vegetable oil which can be aquired from resturants for free. Instead of oil from the arabs @ $55.00 a barrel.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
i dontknow. i would think you would have to highly strain the oil, i dont know anything about that stuff

·
Registered
73 Posts
I heard on the news that a city around DF/W has a Bio-Diesel Refinery and is using it on all of the city trucks and busses. I will try and find some more info on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just ran my first 10 gallons of home made bio fuel and it works great! My motor got alot quieter and I get about 1/2 a mile per gallon better milage. Dodge is supposed to make an anouncement in regards to the use of bio-fuel by the end of the year. They are supposedly going to ok the use of 20% bio to diesel ratio fuel. It is also a better lubricant than diesel and you should be able to go 1,000,000.00 miles before rebuilding your motor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We have been running two different types of alternative fuels in the mines- Biodiesel and Purinox for the last 5 years to reduce NOx and CO emissions. We've got all types of engines running on both- Cat, Cummins, Deutz, Yanmar, Mercedes, Detroit, etc. We used to run #2 Kerosene with a de-sulferizer, but have had reasonable luck with these other types. We burn roughly 30,000 gals of each type per month and have spent a fair amount of time researching these fuels. We found-

The biodiesel we're running is an 80/20 blend of low sulfur diesel and vegetable oil. We're using virgin oil, not recycled since the recycled oils will make the entire mine stink like french fries and leave everything greasy. We've had good results with Bio- no significant reduction in horsepower and a reasonable reduction in CO, NOx and diesel particulate emissions. Biggest problem is that it regularly clogs the fuel filters with sludge, even with purified oil.

Purinox is another fuel that is an 80/20 blend of diesel and water. It uses an emulsifying agent to keep the water in suspension (looks like a strawberry shake). While it is rough on the engine, especially on the injector pump and on the new engines the electronic injectors, it significantly reduces emissions. The dodge trucks will run on it, though we've gone through $30,000 in injectors on three trucks. The more you run the vehicle and not let it sit, the better. There is also a 10% reduction in horsepower. Chevy trucks will not run on it, since they have an opacity sensor that doesn't like the foamy looking fuel.

I gotta say that while the bio offers some real benefits like reduced emissions and its a renewable resource that supports agriculture, the biggest gains in controlling emissions are coming from exhaust filters and engine management computers. Caterpillar and Cummins will be introducing tier three engines soon that you will be able to stick your nose in the tailpipe and breathe normally. No matter what we've used the best reults have come from the bigger industrial engines that run hot, at high revs all day long and don't cycle rpm like we do driving.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Very interesting OH Ram.

Is your mining application coal or limestone?

Are all the mobile diesels fitted with water scrubbers too, or are you doing such experimentation to find a diesel package that does not require a water scrubber?

About 25 years ago I retrofitted a Elkhorn brand battery electric scoop with two Kubota 5 hp watercooled diesels driving hydraulic pumps. The two small diesels each replaced one of the side battery packs. Each had a water scrubber. Each had a Lucas 'wind up' starter with an internal spring you precharged by using a socket wrench. There was no electrics at all, except for self contained headlights units that had internal hydraulic motors driving small 4 volt dc generators.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Underground salt mining

We don't use water scrubbers because, well they're not required and the salt would rot them out quickly. We are testing new diesel particulate filters that have a high temp ceramic matrix that serves to burn off the carbon soot left over from combustion. There's a whole ton of regulations coming soon to the on-highway that is being handed to the mining industry now due to our confined atmospheres regarding diesel particulate matter. The filters work good only on engines that can maintain high exhaust temps otherwise they tend to clog. They are now making a filter that can be plugged in on the off shift to cook off the accululated carbon, but who has time for that? :crazy:

The bottom line for all of this seems to be that we are getting more powerful, controllable, reliable and cleaner burning engines out of this, but it sure takes a lot of money and time to get there...

Your project sounds kinda fun- I've spent more time playing with hydraulic drives, biggest of which is 800 horsepower running at 480 v and 600 amps. :rck:

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Bigbegum69 said:
I heard on the news that a city around DF/W has a Bio-Diesel Refinery
Saw that too.....the city was Saginaw.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Been running 80/20 in my truck since new. I have had many comments about the smell, "you don't have the diesel odor". Power is great and mileage is averaging 20 to 21 on the highway. I commute 200 miles a day and needed a long mileage vehicle. Using B20 with it lubicity properties will help out in the long run. When you jump on the go fast pedal I get a brown cloud out the tailpipe versus the normal black smoke. I found a fuel dealer that sells B20 for the same price as regular diesel.

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
Did anyone see "TRUCKS" today on TV? They had a segment dedicated to this and Stacey took his 2001 Dodge Diesel, emptied the tank, refilled it with this "Bio-diesel" and said it actually ran as good or better than regular old diesel without the smell and smoke of diesel.

Here is a link to the website of the company he talked about for the equipment:

Freedom Fuel America

The setup costs around $4000.00, and the price per gallon is around .70 when you make it yourself. I'm not sure how long it would take to get your $4000.00 back.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Rough math, 90 to 100 fillups before it is profitable. I think it was a GREAT show today, and If 25 percent of the people bought it, it would be a big dent in the middle east oil profit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been researching the start up costs and they are far from 4K. I can assemble the reactor I need with all the pumps, valves and everything else for less than 1K which makes the cost recovery quicker. There are prefab'd reactors available in 3k range and of course there are always the small stuff that would be required. I will be building my system over the next few weeks. I would rather spend my fuel money on American products.

·
Seriously.
1,446 Posts
i saw that trucks episode this morning too, glad i stayed and watched it before i went riding. makes me want to trade in for a diesel just so i can make my own, and there's plenty of fast food joints nearby!

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
That was a pretty cool show yesterday, I didn't buy a diesel because I can't stand the smell of diesel or for that matter smelling like diesel after fueling up. It would pretty cool to driving around smelling like french fries with bio diesel....what was pretty cool was the products are available right off the hardware store shelf...the question is....will restaurants charge you for the used fry oil once they figure out that there is a market for it??

·
Registered
378 Posts
I thought I would add that I read that Chrysler is using Bio as the factory fill for the Libertys fit the d.

·
Registered
852 Posts
patriotbluehemi said:
That was a pretty cool show yesterday, I didn't buy a diesel because I can't stand the smell of diesel or for that matter smelling like diesel after fueling up. It would pretty cool to driving around smelling like french fries with bio diesel....what was pretty cool was the products are available right off the hardware store shelf...the question is....will restaurants charge you for the used fry oil once they figure out that there is a market for it??

Does a one legged duck swim in circles! :thatfunny

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
DieselFreak said:
Does a one legged duck swim in circles! :thatfunny
Nope. In water.

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the local Burger King and McDonald's started making money off of their used cooking oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I run B20 in my 05 since it was new. Now issues and smells better too. We have got a few issues coming concerning the new low sulfur fuel standards. The push for this change is to have cleaner air. What is not be discussed is whats the cost to all CTD and oil burners. Here is a few points, 1) Fuel Spec requirement. To achieve the PPM requirements a considerable amount of #1 diesel is going to be mixed with the lower sulfur stuff. This is going to drive the price much higher for #1 due to lack of availability. Expect shortages of #1 oil. 2) Tanks and inground tanks will either need to be cleaned or replaced. Again due to the PPM spec of the new fuel the distributers will not be able to use a tanker/trailer that has been used for standard diesel delivery. Who is going to pay for the new tankers and trailer? 3) Lubrication. Lower sulfur equates to lower lubricity of the internal parts. We will most likely need to add an additive to get back the lubrication properties that will be lost due to the new requirements. 4) Lower fuel economy for the pre-low sulfur trucks. We will be able to use the fuel but from current test results expect lower fuel economy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
bio-diesel fuel

I get soy biodiesel from the local plant in VA. and mix about 20-30%. Last fillup was $2.42/gall. Runs quieter, smells better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.