DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered my left rear shock is leaking, so it's time for new shocks.

I tow. I carry a little weight in the bed. I have a bad back, so I'd like a little smoothness, but I'm not trying to drive a cadillac. I don't offroad.

Also, I have a two inch block in the rear, are these shocks going to be long enough?

Which of these shocks is going to give me more of what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have bilstein 5100 on the rear right now and the ride over stock shocks and rough country 9000's is much nicer - they are firm and provide a nice ride - I will be installing the fronts over the weekend. Highly recommend the 5100's

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Anybody ran both of these shocks?

·
25HEMI00
1,064 Posts
i got my 5100's from topguncustomz. great price, great shocks!! i'd only get the reflex if you are tight on the $$.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,638 Posts
Go with the Bilstein's. There's a reason Kore and Carli put these on their entry level systems.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go with the Bilstein's. There's a reason Kore and Carli put these on their entry level systems.
Yes, because they perform very well when doing high speed jumps. But I don't need that. I tow and drive on the street. I am looking for a reason a little more compelling then "they perform well off road" or that they are carried by a vendor.

No offense, I am looking for the right shock for me and my needs. I don't care about offroad capability. I want something that can handle some weight in the bed without feeling like I welded in a steel strut.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,638 Posts
Yes, because they perform very well when doing high speed jumps. But I don't need that. I tow and drive on the street. I am looking for a reason a little more compelling then "they perform well off road" or that they are carried by a vendor.

No offense, I am looking for the right shock for me and my needs. I don't care about offroad capability. I want something that can handle some weight in the bed without feeling like I welded in a steel strut.
I've had 5 tons of hay on the back of my truck with my setup and no problem. I'm also pretty sure that Bilstein's have a life time warranty too (I could be wrong on this).

And no offense take, you're going to have to get a little meaner than that to hurt my feelings :D

·
Registered
964 Posts
The bilstein's are the way to go for your application. We carry a full line of them and install them on most of our install, which mostly street driven trucks. They do offer a firm ride which is great for towing and carying loads. While also giving you a nice unloaded ride. We recomend these shocks on everything cause of there multipurpose use. Off/on road towing or not.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, you guys sold me. That's the kind of personal references I wanted to hear. What about my rear block? Will the shock be long enough to accomodate that?

And no offense take, you're going to have to get a little meaner than that to hurt my feelings :D
Good deal :)

·
NighthawkII
205 Posts
From experience I would highly recommend staying away from the reflexes. My departments patrol trucks use reflexes. When first installed they were great but after a couple of months the truck rode like it was on stock shocks again and the ride was terrible. Now we used these trucks in quite a few different terrains, along with towing, and high speed situations and I personally feel they are not worth it. Now a friend of mine who is a fireman for the forest service runs bilsteins on his patrol vehicle and what a difference in all around performance. I would highly recommend bilstein!

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Hey Rubberfrog - I've used both shocks and I can say 100%, you need to go with the Bilstein shocks. For in-town driving, they're the best set of shock that I've had on my truck. The only reason I have the Edelbrock IAS Shocks on the truck right now is because the Bilstein couldn't handle the weight of the truck off-road. I wish I had just moved up to the 5100 series but I found the Edelbrocks on sale. The Edelbrock shock is a good shock offroad but it’s a bit stiff for the in-town driving. As for the Reflex shocks, I will do my best to keep my comments at a PG-13 level. I had the Reflex shocks on my truck before I got the Bilstein shocks. I installed a set of Reflex shock to the front and rear of the truck and bought them thru the Shock Warehouse web site. On the first day, both front shocks and one rear shock blew-out the seals then lost all of the oil. The remaining single shock had a bent shaft. I did my best for two weeks to contact the customer service at the Shock Warehouse but none of my emails or phone calls was returned. I haven’t a good or kind comment about ether the Reflex shocks or the Shock Warehouse.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
I installed a set of Reflex shock to the front and rear of the truck and bought them thru the Shock Warehouse web site. On the first day, both front shocks and one rear shock blew-out the seals then lost all of the oil.

Odd since they are nitrogen charged,... hmm

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
OK, you guys sold me. That's the kind of personal references I wanted to hear. What about my rear block? Will the shock be long enough to accomodate that?

Good deal :)
Subscribing to hear what size you go with for the rear. Are you going with the 5100's or the Heavy Duty Bilsteins? I've only found the Heavy Duty's in your application.

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.