Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post #1
Can I run Bilstein shocks with a leveling kit on a 2010 dodge ram 1500. I have a 3.75 body/leveling kit on it with 325/60-20 (35/13.00-20) tires and would like to lift it a little more without going head deep with a big lift or would it be better just to go with the lift

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sure :D

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you go with Bilstein 5100 and you want to keep the level... Just run the shock at stock preload.

But the beauty will the Bilstein 5100 is they can give you up to 2.8'' of lift. So no need for the level spacer anymore. Just run the Bilstein at 2.8'' of lift.

If you want to had Bilstein 5100 and run them at 2.8'' + 2.5'' level... You won't be able to put the shock back on the truck. You would be able to put the Bilstein at .7'' of lift and keep the level spacer (same setup has the TRX4 and Outdoorsman with a 2.5'' level spacer).

Best route would be a complet suspension lift.

·
Registered
486 Posts
No you can't.

If you did manage to get the shocks back in set at 2.8 with a leveling kit on top, it would be so far that you would not get the truck back in alignment (i know mine on 2.8, the cams are already close to being maxed out).

Also, your CV's would be on a pretty extreme angle. Don't expect them to last long.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No you can't.

If you did manage to get the shocks back in set at 2.8 with a leveling kit on top, it would be so far that you would not get the truck back in alignment (i know mine on 2.8, the cams are already close to being maxed out).

Also, your CV's would be on a pretty extreme angle. Don't expect them to last long.
That's true about the cv angle. The shop that did my lift installed my hell bent steel 2.5" leveling kit on the top of my bilsteins and the angle was so bad the tires would not turn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I other words I could run just the shocks and take the leveling kit off all together and It would still sit higher then it is now,if I go with a lift what one should I buy I'm not a big off roarer just more for looks

·
Registered
522 Posts
So I other words I could run just the shocks and take the leveling kit off all together and It would still sit higher then it is now,if I go with a lift what one should I buy I'm not a big off roarer just more for looks
Depend on what configuration you have now.

TRX4 and Outdoorsman come with a .7'' lift stock. With Bilstein on the TRX4 and Outdoorsman you only gain 2.1'' of lift.

All other configuration will gain 2.8'' of lift for a .3'' more lift then the 2.5'' preload spacer you have now.

·
Registered
486 Posts
if you leave your leveling kit in, don't max your shocks, I would only go as far as second setting. Any more is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I would put a suspension lift on it what would be a good one mainly for looks not for offloading and would I have to take the leveling kit off

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No you can't.

Actually you can. Maybe reread both mine and OP's post. If you reread mine you now know that was sarcasm. To get what you did out of OP's post, YOU had to infer everything.

Op is asking about shocks, come on Rockstar you know shocks are on the rear of the vehicle and not the front. Can he run Bilstein shocks, absolutely :rck: Now if he would have said Bilstein struts, could he run those? Absolutely :rck: OP never said Bilstein adjustable struts, but if he did could he install them? Absolutely :rck: Now could OP install them at max setting like you orginally thought he said? Absolutely Not....probably :thatfunny Even if he could it would be stupid.

OP, seriously, don't do it. Fork out the money for a supsnesion lift :loud:

Rough Country makes fairly cheap yet well made lifts.
:cool:

But if you want one for offroading, get a BDS ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea don't really off road much i was told Rcx was junk. I don't know anything bout them I was told to go with a zone 4 in

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Ouch :nono Don't belive everything you hear. Check this out, might learn you somethin.

RCX seems to be a really good choice for the 4th Gen Ram. They really did their homework. We've got a couple threads comparing RCX, PRO CRAP, and PMS. Check em out, it should blow your mind :SPIN:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good I might just go with Rcx then kinda sucks I already have the money in the leveling kit and then have to take it off to put the suspension on... I already have 35s on so don't think I will go with the 6 inch might be to much room in the fender might look weird .... Prolly just go with 4in then get the billsteins

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If you already have a leveling kit, you can sell it. I sold mine when I put in my lift.

If you get Bilsteins, you can use them with your lift to help level the front end.

35s won't look small with a 6" lift. I've been running 35s with 8" of lift (front). Althought if you combine a 6" lift with bilsteins maxed (2.8"), you will have close to 9" of lift and probably want 37s.

If you get a 4" lift with bilsteins (2.8"), 35s will be look really good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Im beginning to wonder if anyone on here really knows what they are talking about or talking just to talk. And why does it have to be Pro Crap? Everyone can have their own opinion without offending anyone. It didn't offend me because I understand people like to talk shit. But really ProComp is one of the best lift kits on the market. And everyone knows rough country (rcx) is one of the worst. Besides if you actually crawl under the trucks with these lift kits you quickly see that they are ALL basically made the same with drop brackets and spacers. Some people just like to talk about things that know nothing about. And a 6" lift with bilsteins on the front maxed out at 2.8" does NOT give you 9 inches of lift. You only have 8.8 inches of lift and thats just in the front the back is only lifted 6 inches. So you shouldn't go around saying you have 9 inches of lift when you don't!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If you're talkin to me, yes I dont know what I'm talking about. I just like to get my post count up. I'm no gonna get into a pissing contest bc it gets covered every other week on here.

I also know that a 6" lift plus Bilsteins does not give you 9" of lift. Thats in my sig to make fun of Scott, sorry you didnt get the memo. Sorry you got butthurt when i called your lift pro crap. Maybe if you search this forum about the lifts for the 4th gens, you'll see I tweak all the lifts names. Also while searching maybe you'll learn something about these lifts, seems like you dont know too much either.

The lifts are all basically the same. Which is obvious bc it can only be lifted so many different ways. Like yours has a 4.5" strut spacer and mine having a 5.5" strut spacer. Neither are 9" or 8.8" with bilstiens. Mine is 8.3" and yours is 7.3". Your rear lift is 5.5" depending on how many of those spacers you got, every pro comp owner seems to have different ones. No one has 6" of rear lift, Well i do bc I have lifted springs at 4.5" and a 1.5" spacer on top of that. You should also note that your Pro Comp is the only lift not to come with a skid plate. Which is weird, having less ground clearance than other lifts I would definately think they would have one.

Are you saying we should go by our rear lift height? Obviously no one has 9" lift all the way around, that would look retarded. So the PC lift is 5.5" and BDS 5" or 3" depending on which option you got and lastly the rough and crappy lift being 4.5". Not real sure where you were going with that, well or your whole post for that matter. You should definately learn about the lifts bc you seem to know nothing. Matter of fact, you should call EVERY lift company and right down the specs of the lift as well has how the lift is acheived and how much because thats what i did. After that we can compare notes and maybe you wont come off sounding so dumb. Until then, have a good Holiday :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Haha, candy thats funny, sexy truck btw

·
Military Member
515 Posts
RCX is not garbage..all lifts a available for 4th Gen are cookie cutter anyways, besides Pure Perf. Hopefully FTS or Bulletproof come out with one. Suprised the only one that offers coilovers is Fabtech. Yall crack me up though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.