DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can I run Bilstein shocks with a leveling kit on a 2010 dodge ram 1500. I have a 3.75 body/leveling kit on it with 325/60-20 (35/13.00-20) tires and would like to lift it a little more without going head deep with a big lift or would it be better just to go with the lift

Thanks for your help

·
GONE
316 Posts
i have a 2.5" coil spacer on stock shocks.. you dont want shocks longer then stock unless you have aftermarket control arms so you dont totally max out your ball joints..

·
Run, see what happens!
795 Posts
What would an adjustable coilover for a 2wd do? What would I be looking for?

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
It would allow you to adjust your ride height to your liking. Also, it should allow you the ability to change your spring rates as well.

The reason no one makes coilovers for the 2WD's is because, Dodge in their infinite wisdom, decided to go with a traditional shock and spring combo for the front suspension. They should have just used the same suspension for the 2WD's as the 4WD's like most manufacturers (that have a brain). Would have saved engineering costs as well as tooling...

To make a coilover setup (that is worth a damn) for the 2WD's, you would either have to drill the stock coil buckets to give the coilover hat something to bolt to and weld in a couple of shock tabs on the LCA to give it something to mount to there, or do it right and cut off the stock coil bucket and build a shock hoop for the coilover and re-engineer the LCA specifically for coilovers, but at that rate, you might as well go LT.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey yellow, maybe the stock 4x4 lower control arms could fit too. Being the upper control arms are the same. Is the spindles the same on 2wd and 4wd? If so, then the 4x4 lower control arms should just bolt up. If the spindles are the same, the bolt joints should all bolt up no matter if its 2wd or 4wd. Shock hoops would be sick on our trucks.

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
Hey yellow, maybe the stock 4x4 lower control arms could fit too. Being the upper control arms are the same. Is the spindles the same on 2wd and 4wd? If so, then the 4x4 lower control arms should just bolt up. If the spindles are the same, the bolt joints should all bolt up no matter if its 2wd or 4wd. Shock hoops would be sick on our trucks.
OOOOOoOOoOOoOoOoOOoooOoOOOOoOooOoooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I didn't think of that! Looks like I'm going to be scowering junkyards looking for a set of 4WD LCA's!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mee too, then! Haha. At least we all know the 06-08 front ends are the same. Maybe even ebay. If we can get a set ofn4x4 lower control arms, then all we need is a upper coilover mount or some badass shock hoops. Lol

·
Run, see what happens!
795 Posts
Could you dumb this down for me? What are the possibilities?

OOOOOoOOoOOoOoOoOOoooOoOOOOoOooOoooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I didn't think of that! Looks like I'm going to be scowering junkyards looking for a set of 4WD LCA's!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Could you dumb this down for me? What are the possibilities?
I do believe, the 4x4 lower control can replace the 2wd lower control ams. From there we would have a way to mount coilovers or struts in place of our 2wd shock in coil design. As yellowmantis stated above we could then either drill out the three holes in the stock upper coil buckets to mount the upper portion of the coilover or strut. Or take it a step further and cut off the upper coil bucket and put in a custom mount or shock hoops. I hope i'm right about the 4x4 lower control arms bolting in.

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
Only one way to find out...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh the pressure. Haha. Anyway, i'll start looking around locally for some 4x4 lower control arms. If not i'll end up purchasing new online

I found these new mevotech ones with bushings and balljoints installed already
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...tm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&fp=pp&gbm=a

If money wadn't the problem i would stack the cst and either the fabtech or procomp 2wd lift kits. All would have to be done is a relocation of the upper control arms lower on the frame to accomadate the cst spindle. So, 6" bracket lift, 4" spindle lift and stack a 3" coil spacer to achieve 13" front lift. For the rear the cst 4" lift could be stacked with any rear lift kit for our trucks that have a track bar relocator on he axle side. I don't know if the driveshaft could accomadate the lift, but if "money wasn't the problem" then it could happen. Haha

But after all of that, crap, i would just start with a 2500 hd and get the new FTS 15" lift, 22x14's on 38's.

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
So who is going for the 4wd LCA swap first, Mantis or Keala?
Probably not me. I'm still leaning more towards lowering my 2WD back down...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.