DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 months ago I changed out all my stock rotors to cross drilled and slotted zinc plated rotors with posi-quiet pads and painted my calipers silver. The over all goal was obviously better braking. I will say that my brakes look way better than the stock look but the overall braking power is not that much improved.
What got me writing this post is the this. The other day I was on the freeway doing about 7 when i realized I needed to stop now! I put my foor into the brake as far as it would go and for a split second I thought I actually might stack up my rig into a Toyota. As it turns out I stopped in time, however I am now on the prowl for a true big brake upgrade for the front of my Ram.
I drive a 04 1500 QC Hemi with a Hotchkis TVS drop and 22" wheels with 40 series tires. I've found kits from SSBC, Baer, and Brembo but the prices are unbelievable. The SSBC kit is about $1800.00. The Baer and Brembo are $3500.00+ and all three are just for the front of the truck. I've added a few pics of my truck so you'll all have an idea of what I'm working with.
Any suggestions, real life experiences, ideas are all welcome. If you have any Pics please post em. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Other than the kits you posted above, the only thing I know of is the SRT-10 brakes. Some guys have upgraded their front brakes with those. You need to buy the SRT spindle, which will give you an extra 1" drop along the way. The 05/06 models have 4 piston calipers I believe, whereas the 04s don't. Hemi truck club has a few write ups on it.

KB

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Have you flushed the brake fluid recently. When I got my new rotors I had mine changed with some Valvoline SynPower synthetic fluid. I also wonder if stainless brake lines might help.

A final option may be better, but dustier pads, such as the ones used for towing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, both of you guys have great suggestions that I hadn't thought of. By the way on my original post my speed was 70 mph (not 7), sorry for the poor editing. As far as the srt10 spindles and brake kit goes does anybody have an idea on cost. I've noticed with factory parts the cost is pretty high and I'm wondering if I'd just spend the same with a kit from SSBC? I do like the idea of an extra inch of drop though.
The stainless lines also sound like a good idea and no I didn't flush the brake fluid when I changed the brakes. However, I did recently have a major tune up. oil change, etc. at the Dodge dealership and they said the brakes are working within factory spec.
Thanks again you guys, any other ideas or eplies are totally welcome :rck:

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
my powerslot rotors and lts brake pads stop my truck no problem even with my 22s. Your pads must be junk.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
You got to be careful when upgrading to larger/bigger brake rotors etc.
What you must realise, is that the ABS algorithm, is all worked out on the stock sizes.
This is also true to some extent on the larger wheels as well.
What can happen, is that you get less effective braking overall due to larger diameter rotors and wheels and the ABS being worked out using the standard stuff.
All this, along with the greater rotating masses, which takes even more stopping power etc.

Check this information out.
There's a LOT to read but all the same, it's very interesting if your wanting to upgrade your brake systems.
Check out the ABS & big brake kit fundamentals, impacts & real world solutions.
http://www.centricparts.com/techsupport.htm
Hope this helps?
Al.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
LPGHemi said:
You got to be careful when upgrading to larger/bigger brake rotors etc.
What you must realise, is that the ABS algorithm, is all worked out on the stock sizes.
This is also true to some extent on the larger wheels as well.
What can happen, is that you get less effective braking overall due to larger diameter rotors and wheels and the ABS being worked out using the standard stuff.
All this, along with the greater rotating masses, which takes even more stopping power etc.

Check this information out.
There's a LOT to read but all the same, it's very interesting if your wanting to upgrade your brake systems.
Check out the ABS & big brake kit fundamentals, impacts & real world solutions.
http://www.centricparts.com/techsupport.htm
Hope this helps?
Al.
Is this still true for trucks with rear ABS only? Most would put larger rotors/calipers on the front only.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Simple answer.........dunno'.

I thought that the article was real interesting. Especially when you see the ricers putting everything they can onto their fart boxes.
You know, the 6 point pistons and extra large calipers and huge rotors etc etc etc.
Interpreting the article, they might be getting better brakes by keeping the stock stuff????
Al.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
dwp360 said:
hemiramon22's what kind of pads are you using? The brand I'm using is Posi-Quiet.
these are them: click here

i suggest them they work great on my truck, no fading at all.

I run my truck hard since i have built it for performance and they work beautifully

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks hemiram, I've seen the hawk pads in the past. Probably should've bought em the first time around. Hopefuly that and some stainless lines will be an inexpensive fix.
LPG Hemi, thanks for the insight. There's a whole bunch of info I hadn't even considered especially with the ABS. Great point by the way.
Thanks guys and please keep it coming!

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Another thing you should do if you get new pads is to make sure you "bed" them in properly if you did not do that with your last set of pads. Bedding is the process of several slow downs from about 35 mph to 5 mph, etc to make sure the pads work at their optimum level. The pads should say something about it when you get them, if not, search here or Google.

·
Registered
337 Posts
the powerslot rotors with hawk pads work great. and if you want to change out your brake fluid...there is a brakefluid that is supposed to work really well i think its called redline brake fluid...someone correct me if i'm wrong...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.