DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 1996 extended cab 1500 with a 5.2 auto. Problems with the truck are the PCM, Auto transmission shot, Exhaust leaks, Engine has 189,xxx and needs help. He has a good carbed 440 with a working auto transmission he wants to put in the truck. Anyone on here tried that? Don't need to worry about DEQ or safety inspections.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
there are a couple of people on here that have done it im building a 413 to put in my 97 right now

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures? or problems encountered? either is helpful.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
do a forum search on 440 swaps and you should get the ones that have done it my motor is at the builder waiting on money and parts right now but here are a couple pics before i sent it out

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks Good Tkirk! Please post some pics as you go back together. Perhaps you could do a "story book" type of thread with the project and basically use it as a blog to document the job, problems encountered, parts needed, ETC.

I'm interested to see how the performance is after your done. I'm sure "She'll run!" :)

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
thats my plan ill post up everything that gets done to the motor and dyno results if i can get one done based on what im planning it should be 500-550 hp at the flywheel

as for the install ill do a full write up as it progresses im working on the cruise control /throttle linkage now getting ready to start the motor mounts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we're well behind you on this. We have located a 440 and transmission out of a 88 motorhome. The guy has a 68 Mustang that needs body work, so doing body work in exchange for the engine and transmission.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
we're well behind you on this. We have located a 440 and transmission out of a 88 motorhome. The guy has a 68 Mustang that needs body work, so doing body work in exchange for the engine and transmission.
that sounds like a sweet deal 440&tranny for some labor not bad

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only other one on Dodge talk I found was done by Buff_dragon. Didn't find in pictures. Will have to post pictures as we start, looking fwd to tkirk's post on this.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up the 440 and transmission today. Will start work on prepping the engine tomorrow. Will post pictures tomorrow.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
ill be ordering my parts in the next couple weeks ill be using my stock parts for everything the only thing changeing is the motor so it wont take long to do the swap once i get started

·
Registered
549 Posts
A 1988? Thats a low compression smogger, Your stock 5.9 V8 probably has more power and tq, but you can rectify that with more compression and cam. I never fooled with the Dodge b/rb engines, but I think the RV motors have a few things different then the reg truck and car motors. It might be a deck height thing like the big block Chevy big truck motors. Might be something to check into. What are you doin for mounts? This sin't the direction I would have gone, but It should be pretty cool when you get done. :rck:

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i believe the only difference in the motor home engines are extra cooling in the heads and a bigger cam

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Im in agree with Capt, those were smogger engines, all that started in 72, thats when everything went down hill in the muscle cars. I had a 78 chevy 3/4 ton with a 350 for just a play truck and it was a dog. The engine was crap, when they started the fuel injection in 88 or so then they started coming around. I sure hope your gonna do something to wake that motor up. Hotter cam, roller rockers, head port, etc.

Bigredram1 did a 440 swap into his ram. It sounds like a beast and I hope I get to see it one day.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188200&highlight=440+swap

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Motor will not be stock. Will raise do the same things we did to a 440 we put into a 73 Charger. Only thing that was stock was the cast Iron.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
that motor looks as ratty as mine did when i picked it up:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.