DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Yall! just kidding I dont really talk like that.. I just picked up a 2000 Ram ext cab 1500 4x4 Sport I believe. I have always wanted a lifted truck and got a real good deal on this one. Its going to need a few odds n ends but over all its a great truck.

I am not really sure how high its lifted but I know that it has a 3" Body Lift for sure ans it has a suspension lift as well. Sitting on 37 BFG M/T's.. As of right now it rides ok but there is alot of clanking coming from the front end. I have noticed the front suspension stabilizer/steering bars have the rod ends worn out. you can wiggle them up and down easily and the clank like crazy!

Has some sweet Dark grey leather and grey Dash with the finest in plastic wood lol! My buddie was saying that it was a Laramie because of the leather but i was not sure how to tell if it was?

Now for the Q's

Below are the pics of the worn out joints.. Im in the process of picking up new ends at Balistic Fabs and was wondering if these should have some sort of spacer between them? I ask because of the severe rattle, I know new ones shouldnt move as freely but was thinking it needs some sort of bushing?

True 4x4? A mechanic who went over my truck had it on the lift and put it in drive, only one wheel in the back passanger side was spinning.. When in 4x4 the front Drived side only along with the back rear p side was spinning. I was under the impression that all four should spin?

Cracked Dash.. Looks like a grenade went off under my windshield, I know where to find replacments "A Cap" but I noticed the ac does not blow through the front vents ut seems to come out of the top where its all cracked. Is this due to the dash or is there another issue im not seeing?

tried to post pics but need more posts first.. pics to come..Thanks for the Help!

IMAG1520.jpg
Big Black Web size.jpg
1IMAG1518.jpg

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Just heim joint ends they should be rebuildable. Dasdh crack is common so shouldn't be more issues. The rear is limited slip so one tire turning is commonwhen on ground the resistance transfers power to other tire but not locked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just heim joint ends they should be rebuildable. Dasdh crack is common so shouldn't be more issues. The rear is limited slip so one tire turning is commonwhen on ground the resistance transfers power to other tire but not locked.
Thanks for the info.. Not sure how to rebuild em so I figured I would buy the Kevlar ones.. They seem like they'll last. As for the limited slip, my mech was telling me about doing a Poss conversion but thats later on down the line..

BTW your Truck is sweet man, I had actually seen it before I had bought my truck and after I seen it I was like yea Id definetly drive that :D

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
The steering looks to be a Thuren (thurenfab.com?) setup or similar. The hiems are replaceable or rebuildable, but the knuckles have been reamed to fit the straight bolts. Stock tie rods are unusable. Don can help you if you can't find them at tractor supply. I know he's upgraded the attachment point for the draglink.
Sounds like you have two open differentials. You can email your vin to chrysler corp and they will email you your trucks build sheet.

Welcome to DT!:gr_patrio

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
ooh i want to help can i!
can i see a pict of the control arms? and what kind of lift do you have on the 9 1/4 axle?
nice thuren system by the way!
http://thurenfabrication.com/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The steering looks to be a Thuren (thurenfab.com?) setup or similar. The hiems are replaceable or rebuildable, but the knuckles have been reamed to fit the straight bolts. Stock tie rods are unusable. Don can help you if you can't find them at tractor supply. I know he's upgraded the attachment point for the draglink.
Sounds like you have two open differentials. You can email your vin to chrysler corp and they will email you your trucks build sheet.

Welcome to DT!:gr_patrio
Thanks! Someone else mentioned tractor supply co, so I'm might see if I can check them out locally. I'm going to also see about emailing for the info on my truck

ooh i want to help can i!
can i see a pict of the control arms? and what kind of lift do you have on the 9 1/4 axle?
nice thuren system by the way
Help indeed! I believe both you guys are right they look just like the Thuren setup. The heims seem to be fine its just the rod ends that are blown. There is no side to side play just you can move it up and down on the ball.

I tried to pull one off today and man them suckers are on tight! I'm gonna have to see if my mech can get em off with the impact gun.

As for the lift on the axle I'm not really sure, I know I have a 3" body lift and I measured a 4" block on top of the leaf spring but I'm not sure if there is any added links or anything else? It seems pretty tall though.

I'll post better pics of the front end tomorrow.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
4" block should be under the spring the heim is the end if that is the Thuren set up then thats what I am doing this winter. I am adding hydro assist to mine but was going to keep that secret as there are other top secret mods happening as we speak.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The AC blows out the top because of a bad diverter valve, I think it's run by vacuum and that could be the problem too, but my memory is failing me. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more about it. I had this happen on a 97 and it was a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
353 Posts
BTW...nice truck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4" block should be under the spring the heim is the end if that is the Thuren set up then thats what I am doing this winter. I am adding hydro assist to mine but was going to keep that secret as there are other top secret mods happening as we speak.
Yes you are correct the block is under the spring. As for the Heim, I thought their called rod ends? I was going to replace all of them with these..
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/XM-1214-78-w-34-ball-CrMo-rod-end-w-kevlar-liner-_p_1423.html

The set up looks good though nice and solid, and well crafted. Even with the ends worn the steering is far from sloppy and is still very tight. it just chatters like hell.

The AC blows out the top because of a bad diverter valve, I think it's run by vacuum and that could be the problem too, but my memory is failing me. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more about it. I had this happen on a 97 and it was a pretty easy fix.
Ill check into that and see what i can find

BTW...nice truck!
Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
From the picture it looks like you have tow hooks in the front. If those are factory you have the Off Road package which gives you a bigger alternator, an extra oil and trans cooler, skid plates and 4.10 gears (if they haven't been changed). If your front bumper cover has the two nothces where the tow hooks would fit with no body lift then they are factory. Nice find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the picture it looks like you have tow hooks in the front. If those are factory you have the Off Road package which gives you a bigger alternator, an extra oil and trans cooler, skid plates and 4.10 gears (if they haven't been changed). If your front bumper cover has the two nothces where the tow hooks would fit with no body lift then they are factory. Nice find.
Yes it has the Factory Tow hooks in front and I found out that it is a sport "Has the dual headlight/Blacked out Grill/ And full plastic bumper" Got it with only 125k and from what i have heard could actually be less miles due to the oversized Tires. I picked it up for 4k! that was a sweet deal if you ask me!

Here is some pics of the Steering set up my plans are to take a dye grinder to it with some scuff pads and clean it all up and paint it.. not sure the color i want to go for yet..

I freakin love leather!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah that's a pretty sweet deal. I'm looking for another Off Road for my son. He wants mine, but I'm not parting with it. Well I guess I would if I found a better one. My 07 Mega Cab just sits in the driveway. I like the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that's a pretty sweet deal. I'm looking for another Off Road for my son. He wants mine, but I'm not parting with it. Well I guess I would if I found a better one. My 07 Mega Cab just sits in the driveway. I like the 2nd gen.
Yea Im sure when my kids gets old enough there gonna want all my toys.. My little girl is always saying "I want daddys motorcycle" lol..

FYI I called Don @ Thuren and asked him about replacement Heim joints.. I gave him a description about the issue I was having and he informed me that as long as there is no free play between in the actual joint then their fine. He said them being easily movable around the ball is normal wear. He suggested putting a bushing between the ball and bolt if the noise really bothered me. He was a really cool guy and took his time to call me back and answer all my questions :tup: props to Don @ Thuren!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
still cant see the control arms from the picts posted. ok though.
you stated the leaf pack only has one 4" block on it. thinks you got a 3" lift coil in the frt and the factory 2" in the bck is "out" - the 4" in for the lift. call it a 3" suspension lift and a 3" body lift= totaling 6" package.
maybe more. a 1500 with a 6" kit is pushing it. a clearer pict of the control arm will tell. if it has a 5" spring lift and the factory oem arms up frt, i'd say you got some money to spend.
have you checked out the track bar in detail yet? have a buddy sit in the truck /running/ and monkey hump the steering wheel. durring this lay under the truck and feel through all the articulating joints. check for looseness. the track bar is usually the first culpret for road wonder. can you tell if its stock. suprised you dont have an adjustable on there! measure off the rim to the frame and determine if one side is diff than the other. the drag links and the track bar angles look ok. you may want to consider a drop pit arm, this could help with bump steer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
still cant see the control arms from the picts posted. ok though.
you stated the leaf pack only has one 4" block on it. thinks you got a 3" lift coil in the frt and the factory 2" in the bck is "out" - the 4" in for the lift. call it a 3" suspension lift and a 3" body lift= totaling 6" package.
maybe more. a 1500 with a 6" kit is pushing it. a clearer pict of the control arm will tell. if it has a 5" spring lift and the factory oem arms up frt, i'd say you got some money to spend.
have you checked out the track bar in detail yet? have a buddy sit in the truck /running/ and monkey hump the steering wheel. durring this lay under the truck and feel through all the articulating joints. check for looseness. the track bar is usually the first culpret for road wonder. can you tell if its stock. suprised you dont have an adjustable on there! measure off the rim to the frame and determine if one side is diff than the other. the drag links and the track bar angles look ok. you may want to consider a drop pit arm, this could help with bump steer.
Ill see if I can get under there and get a better pic of the arms but from what I could tell from the last time I was under there, they were stock. I can tell that the springs are aftermarket though also confirmed by my mechanic. any aftermarket arms you reccomend?

As for the Track bar, I'm pretty sure it is a part of the Thuren set up I have. The set up I have is custom for a 5" - 15" lift, You can see the Dropped Bracket welded to the frame that the bar connects to. There is no road wonder as of right now, the truck drives straight and no wobble in the steering wheel either. I am still however going to replcae the Heim joints as soon as $ permits.

Link below is the set up I have .. "Pick of my set up at the Very Bottom"

http://thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Yep thats the one I want always wondered how much it helps. I am going with 12-13" suspension and know the factory set up is not going to work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep thats the one I want always wondered how much it helps. I am going with 12-13" suspension and know the factory set up is not going to work.
From the guys that have looked at my truck, they seemed impressed with the steering kit. Im pretty new when it comes to Lifted Trucks, I mainly work on My Bikes and simple work on Imports. But being new to lifted Trucks I am not sure 100% what crappy steering should feel like, but i know that this trucks is nice and Tight and not hard at all to Turn. If i let go of the wheel no shakes and no pull. Its gotta be that buch better when I put brand new Heims on it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
the original set of questions- for the ac, look at the vac lines. you will have valve checks in them, they stay shut with vac applyed. trace all the lines and make sure they hold vac, make sure the checks are working properly. all these hoses come off the intake manifold on the pass side primary nipples. if any of the checks leak or the lines have holes the heater controles will not stay put & the cruise control will not work.
perhaps you do have a 5" frt spring lift. i'd like to see the leaf pack and the blocks they used for the lift in the back. for control arms up frt i'd go adjustable, you need more length to place the wheels in the wells properly. topguncustomz is good or look in to BDS suspension. first things i'd do on yours would be the longer frt adjustable arms or a long arm kit... a zero rate block in the back and a shackle flip kit for the leaf hangers from http://www.airbagit.com/category-s/2156.htm. these will help you get rid of some of the block on the leaf and eliminate axle wrap. then a zero rate block to center the axle up.
http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=2&mo=16&ty=13&yr=1994-1999
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/products.php?S_ID=56
these co do offer parts individually.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.