DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am really annoyed. I am changing the stock plain 16" steel rims on my '99 to a set of the Off-Road 17" rims from an '01 Off-Road Ram. I was planning to put BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO with RWL in a 285/70/17. I have come to find out that these are on a nationwide backorder, and that it could be months until any are availabe in my area. Only size available today is a 315.

So, since I am changing my tires in the next few weeks, what are some other suggestions for good tires. I want something aggressive looking, but not to noisey on the highway (probably no mudders). Should be able to handle a load too.

Please include pics if you can.

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's the exact tires I just got yesterday.
I called 2 large tire distributers last week that told me about the nation wide back order. (they couldn't give me a date when they would be able to get them) Both told me they could get me the blackwall. But I wanted the raised white letter.
I ended up calling a local bfg dealer, he made a call to the bfg warehouse and I had them a week later.

I hate to rub it in but they look awsome. (rub,rub,rub) :bman:

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gregu said:
That's the exact tires I just got yesterday.
I called 2 large tire distributers last week that told me about the nation wide back order. (they couldn't give me a date when they would be able to get them) Both told me they could get me the blackwall. But I wanted the raised white letter.
I ended up calling a local bfg dealer, he made a call to the bfg warehouse and I had them a week later.

I hate to rub it in but they look awsome. (rub,rub,rub) :bman:
Well, since you rubbed it in so much, don't be suprised if you come out tomorrow and find your Ram up on blocks with no tires. They'll be on mine. :D
I'll try my local BFG dealer. I guess the blackwall would work too, but they just don't look as good.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Davcruz said:
The Cooper Discoverer ST is not a bad looking tire. I have heard good things, but they are not in a 285, only a 275.
Ya, that's not bad, and they do have a 33X12.50R17LT (32.63 diameter). Wouldn't that be about the same as what I wanted? The diameter on a 285/70/17 is 32.70.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope you know I was just razzing ya! :D

I agree that the raised white letter look better.
My wife thinks I paid to much for them. ($206 per, free mounting and balance, free lifetime flat repair, lifetime free tire rotation, lifetime free alignment check) But I thought about it, and this is how I see it. If I didn't get the tires I wanted, each time I look at my truck I would be thinking how much better it could look.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gregu said:
I hope you know I was just razzing ya! :D

I agree that the raised white letter look better.
My wife thinks I paid to much for them. ($206 per, free mounting and balance, free lifetime flat repair, lifetime free tire rotation, lifetime free alignment check) But I thought about it, and this is how I see it. If I didn't get the tires I wanted, each time I look at my truck I would be thinking how much better it could look.
Ya, I knew. So was I.

I agree about being happy with how they look, escpecially since they will be on there for a long time. I think the best price I found most places was $185-195 (after tax, probably about what you paid). However, Sams Club had 285/75/16's instock for $168. They have to order the 285/70/17, and have the same backorder issue.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go with the 315's! :rck:

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
well here is a surprise to most- I have 315 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's which are VERY aggressive, and I put on about 80,000km per year. They are terrific offroad, and very nice on highway as well. I was told to remove them for winter but instead decided to test them. I spend the winters up in the Canadian Arctic, and those tires were the only ones up there that didn't get stuck. I drive them on snow, ice, mud, rocks, and LOTS and LOTS of highway, and they are fantastic!! I will never use anything else unless I am towing something seriously heavy a very long distance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Take a look at the Nitto Terra Grappler they only have 295/70 and 265/70 in 17".

I'm running them on my ram now and I have a lot of people tell me they like the look of them.Not to agressive,quiet on the road,ride alittle stiff but not too hard.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How are then on rain and wet pavement? ice and snow?
Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the 295/70R17 Terra Grapplers on my 1 ton and I like them,,,, they dont seem to wear as well as the BFG AT,s but they are ok.
I have a set of New BFG AT,s 315/70/17 for sale for $625 plus shipping.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have ran them in rain but not snow.They were better on wet pavement than my Baja Claws by a long shot.

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
Heres a picture of my Wrangler MTR's, not the greatest picture but.....................

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.