Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

· Registered
485 Posts
Are you talking about the chrome door handles? I've been looking all over for them. Where did you see them? I seen some on ebay that adhere to your original handles with 3m tape. Not so sure of those.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right now it doesn't get any better than that. the boze replacement handles cost a bunch $$$$$$ and they don't make em for us. All the rest you see are stick on. I check ebay at least once a week for stuff. you never know what you might find

· "TRUCKIN"
261 Posts
you adhere the to the handles with some tape........for $75 im not gonna waste my time or money on some shiny silver to fall off my handles.......id rather get the painted........later

· WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,433 Posts
I looked at them, hard to see them through the blister package. They're stainless not chrome. Also what about the rear doors? I guess you could always shave them. Good luck.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bleu you didn't see the back door one for $28???? I kinda like em. I guess everyone else don't :crazy: lol

· WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,433 Posts
I saw the hatch one, but the kit w/the keyhole had only 2 pcs. and I can't gauge the quality when I can't see it.
I noticed a brand on 1 of the pieces, here's the mfgr., the plastic chrome choice isn't available
http://www.tfpusa.com/s2_insertaccents.htm

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ebay has em listed as stainless steel. I can't imagine $75 for just 2. if that's the case I'm out. I'm gonna email the seller

· Registered
251 Posts
Let us know what he says. I really want them, but they're so much. Plus in one of the pictures, it looks like the driver's side handle doesn't fit the housing very good. I'm just a little leary about doing something before all of you, the more experienced guys. Let me know what he says, and if he thinks that he'll be able to get any more. Thanks, Rock.

Brett

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haven't received anything as of yet. the sale ended so someone has a set on the way. I hope they're a member her so we can get some feed back. I'm gonna take a chance and bid on the tail gate one. that way I'm only out $30 if it isn't worth it. More to follow

· Registered
3,712 Posts
Caution on the front door handles. They are not correct for all years. Early D's have key locks for both drivers and passenger side front doors. The passenger side key was dropped somewhere. The handles shown only have one hole.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I won the auction. Let's see how this really looks. I'll post pics once it gets here

· unRegistered Dog
2,332 Posts
tandenish said:
Are you talking about the chrome door handles? I've been looking all over for them. Where did you see them? I seen some on ebay that adhere to your original handles with 3m tape. Not so sure of those.
You can always use JB Weld to attach them.

· Backwoods Hillbilly
989 Posts
Hey Rock, those guys are close to me. I actually visited their store and that's where I picked up my chrome bumper. Really good guys at Martin's and a quality operation.

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
coachholland said:
Hey Rock, those guys are close to me. I actually visited their store and that's where I picked up my chrome bumper. Really good guys at Martin's and a quality operation.
I might need a favor in that case. I want to see the quality of the door handles. I've ordered the hatch. should be here in a week or so

· Registered
998 Posts
I just finished clear coating my door handles. It was a simple process and now I don't have to worry about them getting chalky or discolored anymore. Whoohoo!!

· Keystoner
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DurangoDude said:
I just finished clear coating my door handles. It was a simple process and now I don't have to worry about them getting chalky or discolored anymore. Whoohoo!!
hmmmm there's an idea. any pics JW

· Registered
998 Posts
Sure!!

This first pic is what you'll need. The Transtar clear is perfect for this because it's a medium build clear. Meaning it will not change the texture of the surface unless you want to and then you'll just do multiple coats. It's also a semi-gloss so the result will be subtle but protective. Lastly, it also has a flex agent in it so it's perfect for both plastic and metal surfaces, thus VERY LITTLE prep work was involved. I just used a fine gritt sand paper and lightly went over them once. Make sure you also get a couple of different width rolls of blue, low adhesive masking tape and a large 1mil thick drop cloth.

The second and third pic shows how I first taped off the handles. Notice I stuck a piece of rolled tape in the lock mechanism to prevent it from getting clogged with the clear.

The third and forth pic shows the drop cloth over the truck to prevent overspray and how the handles looked after sanding.

More pics in the next post.

Attachments

· Registered
998 Posts
The first pic in this post shows the rear lift gate handles masked off and sanded.

The second pic shows the first coat of clear. Notice it's a thin coat. This is important because if you start too thick you'll have sags and runs. Make sure to get underneath the bottom part of the handle as well.

The last two pics show the final results after three coats of clear. The handles are now protected and will always have the subtle gloss to them.

To do all five handles took me 2.5 hours and that's including dry time for the clear. The stuff dries super fast and you can add more coats after 15min.

Hope this helps!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.