DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, kids, here's the deal. The Mrs has a 2004 D Limited, AWD. This is her daily ride/kid hauler. I've got probably 8-10K miles to go on the stock tires (currently has 40K on the odo), so I'm starting to look for upgrade options.

My goal in all of this is to make the truck look better (decrease the wheelwell gap), while keeping good dry/wet traction (kid-hauler, remember), and have a smooth, quiet freeway ride (the Mrs. does a lot of highway driving).

If I go with new wheels, I would plan to keep the stock 17's for winter use, so the new tires could be geared more toward summer driving. Please keep in mind that we live in Michigan, a state known for occasionally interrupting our potholes with sections of smooth pavement.

So, options....

1. Keep the 17 inchers and get new, larger tires
2. Go to 18 or 20's for the summer, with stock suspension. What size tire would you recommend? 265/50-20?
3. Go with stock wheels and Eibach springs?
4. Go with 20's and Eibach.

Keep in mind that I plan to do the shocks at the same time, hopefully with Bilsteins if they are available. Any tire recommendations? The Pirelli Scorpion STRs look pretty good from a price/performance standpoint. Seem to be cheaper than the Michelin Touring LTX....

My thinking is that *if* the ride of the 20's and Eibachs is not too drastically different than stock, that would be the way to go. And hopefully, the Bilsteins would help smooth out any bouncing from the spring kit and shorter sidewalls.

Any input from other northern D owners? Don't mean to rude, but having guys in sunny and smoooooth Miami running 22's saying the ride is OK doesn't really help us up here in the "Pothole State" :) ;)

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here in Houston we have plenty of potholes. I suggest going with 20's so you don't sacrifice too much ride quality. A lrage sidwall will absorb the potholes better and won't jar your wife an piss her off. I really love the ride quality of the stock D, and i have no exp, with the eibachs so no help there. As far as tire brand, just pay attention to trad, temp, and traction numbers: 400/A/A. For the price, the Goodyear Eagle GT2 that the Ram's run, is hard to beat. 275/45/20, which list for little over 110 a piece and are 420/a/a.
Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lived in Houston for almost 5 years back in the early 90's - up near 290 and FM1960 area. Miss the food and the Shiner, but not the bloody hot weather! :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have 20" with the eibachs on my D. The ride is pretty smooth but it has a little more bounce than the stock stance. But it handles way better in the corners. I am waiting for bilsteins to further help the suspension and smooth the ride out. I believe the only shock option that is out right now for the D is rancho's or monroes which both come from the same company. Rumors are saying that the bilsteins will be out mid november.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I run 22's on mine with stock suspension 305/40 tires. Up in Canada we have bad roads too! The ride is much harsher I would say (a lot like the G1 Durango when you go over pot holes or bumps) you can feel the rear end bouncing around. It is certainly not close to stock tires.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's no way 20's + are smoother ride than 17s. There just isn't the sidewall and that is the largest and most important part of your suspension. Good shocks can't smooth out bicycle tires. Doesn't sound like you're looking for comfort sounds like you want :cool:

I stuck with stock and got Goodyear tripletreads, an inch wider. Smooth ride great traction.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Asmodaus said:
I stuck with stock and got Goodyear tripletreads, an inch wider. Smooth ride great traction.
I'm with you! Bump the width up an inch and keep the diameter roughly the same, and make sure to pick out quiet ones!

If I wanted to spend the cash on wheels I wouldn't mind moving up ONE inch to 18's for a little improvement in looks and transient response while not affecting ride appreciably. But 20-22-24's? That would sure detract from the smooth ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah that's me too. I love the goodyear Tripletreads and they're beating everything else pretty handedly in tire ratings and customer ratings. You might consider them sometime, unless you just dislike goodyear. The factory SR-A Wrangler tires are awful.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have 20s and the ride is not as smooth as the stock 17s but not enough to deter my wife from getting them if she had to do it again. I think 22s is way too much and you will notice it alot but if looks are more important that ride comfort then its OK but 20s is at the borderline better one extreme and another. I have 275 55 20s which is the ram size so it has more sidewall than the 285 50 20s that some use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.