DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a FOX decal on my extra cab window of my Dakota. But its been starting to peel off & crack away. So I'm trying to take it off. I tried my power washer, and it worked okay. It tooks bits & pieces off but not all of it. I don't want any little outline or anything left behind on my window.

So what's the best way to take it off without leaving an outline or any hint of it? Any tricks you guys use? Thanks.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
a razor. but be careful, you could scratch the window.. i've used this de-solv-it crap to remove stickers off of ps2 cases.. but i dont know if it will do anything to the paint on your truck if it gets on there.. maybe just scrub on it with a rag and some hot water.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Take a block of clean wood and make it into a wedge, and use it to take the sticker off, then follow up with some mineral spirits to remove the sticky film. The wood won't scratch anyting and the mineral spirits doesn't harm the finish if you get sloppy.

Andrew

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
As a matter of fact, I removed a sticker off my window today. The sticky gummy residue that left behind was a mess. I removed it with a single edge razor blade, and take some lighter fluid ( doesn't matter what brand ) and squeeze some on a rag, not the window. ( you want to avoid it running onto your paint )Then rub it off until comes clean. If it just smears into a mess, you'll have to change areas on the rag to a clean area, squeeze some more on and go again. Do this until it gets clean.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
AP said:
As a matter of fact, I removed a sticker off my window today. The sticky gummy residue that left behind was a mess. I removed it with a single edge razor blade, and take some lighter fluid ( doesn't matter what brand ) and squeeze some on a rag, not the window. ( you want to avoid it running onto your paint )Then rub it off until comes clean. If it just smears into a mess, you'll have to change areas on the rag to a clean area, squeeze some more on and go again. Do this until it gets clean.
I do it the same way, but I use rubbing alcohol. Works every time.:)

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Razor blade with water. Water will stop the blade from scratching the glass and you don't have to wrry about the water streaking or ruining your paint. Been doing it that way for years especially for paint that gets on windows when the tape may leak after a paint job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I worked in a detail shop for a few years, and a razor blade with soapy water seemed to work best. Useful for removing old tint, stickers / graphics, overspray, etc.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I use a heat gun set on low. Then rubbing alcohol. Works fine.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
I usually razor the culprit and use some glass cleaner as a presoak for it and cleanup.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
im in the process of removing paint on my windshield from my dad painting my dash lol.. damn is there a lot.. hasnt bothered me.. but was bored and decided i would.. he also put the stickers for my shocks on uneven.. so i decided i would take them off.. and i got it down the the residue part a long tim eago.. but i took out a hot rag, and got most of it off, then just marks around the edges were left.. so i used some De-Solv-It and it came right off.. god is my truck gonna look good if i can get those differential covers!

on another note.. does anyone know where i could get a ram head sticker (2) for my back window.. really big to put on the windows on the outside of the sliding window?

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
the75powerwagon said:
on another note.. does anyone know where i could get a ram head sticker (2) for my back window.. really big to put on the windows on the outside of the sliding window?
Wampa1500 here on DodgeTalk.... his company is called Westside Vinyl Graphics.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
A razor blade is not going to scratch glass! Glass is a lot harder than any metal razor.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
PUTT SKI said:
Acetone Or Try A Hair Dryer
Not Both At Same Time!
Putts

Why? :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
The_Smith said:
I'd give Googone a try that stuff works pretty good for taking off glue residue.
Yup, thats what I use and it works really well. First I use a razor blade to scrap off the sticker, and then use go gone to get off the residue. It works really good, plus the goo-gone won't damage your paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchase some stuff called "Goo-Gone" that you can probably find in any Wal-Fart-type store.
Safer than the other fluids and will work on most any "sticky-type" surface problem. (It's cheap too!)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Goo-Gone is the shizzle....I use it on most everything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.