DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 Grand Caravan that is in need of a shineup on the exterior plastic--namely, the side guards running from front door to rear quarter. Right now they're faded grey but I'd like to take them back to black, somewhere between a matte and a satin finish, I think high gloss would be too obnoxious.

On my last vehicle ('94 Dakota Sport), after a good washing and rub down with wax/grease remover I sprayed down the bumpers with an all-purpose Rust-Oleum black matte and that worked okay. The bumpers were already rusted and pitted and I was keeping the old beater together with duct tape already, so I wasn't worried about the quality of the finish too much. Now, however, it's a much different story.

I'm looking to do it myself and on the cheap. I have masking tape and old newspapers at the ready. I just need the paint! What have you used in the past to paint exterior automotive plastics? What techniques do you have for getting the job to look good and last? (It's a textured plastic so I don't think I'll need to sand it to accept the paint.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have tried using Gatorback Coatings before. I live in Vegas and due to extreme heat the plastic trims on my truck faded. I tried it and surprisingly it worked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.