DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what everyone here would say the best under rear seat sub configuration would be? i have 2 12" diamonds in a custom baffle box built under the rear seat but there is not near enought airspace for those subs they sound good untill i turn it up. i dont want to put a box under the centerfront because i have the compartment there and dont want to lose it.

i have a 600 W JBL 1 channel 2 ohm, 1 ohm stable amp and the subs i have were perfect for it in my single cab 01 but now they are not.
i am thinking of replacing the top peice with one made for 10"s.

any input would be great.... i will only do 12"s or 10"s

here is a pic of what i have now......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
dale3fan3 said:
I would talk to Mark @ supercrewsound one of our sponsers he prolly can help you out he did help me quite a bit even with questions I had about stuff I didnt buy from him.
here is what I did if it matters
There you go................good info

·
Registered
557 Posts
With that little amount of space I would have gone with D6 10" sealed & stuffed with polyfill...
500watts or more per sub...

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont want to spend a crap load of money on this but im thinking of replacing the 12"s with alpine 10" type r's.... i would have to have the top of the box rebuilt but i think the 10"s would use the smaller airspace better, what do you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
go to proboxrocks.com and check out their custom boxes I had one made for 2 kicker solo-baric L-5 8" square subs and it pounds. I have a JL Audio 500/1 amp powering the subs

·
Registered
557 Posts
Charvel350 said:
i dont want to spend a crap load of money on this but im thinking of replacing the 12"s with alpine 10" type r's.... i would have to have the top of the box rebuilt but i think the 10"s would use the smaller airspace better, what do you think?
I hear ya... we all want the perfect solution for little money. But what ends up happening is we keep settling for cheaper solutions in hopes it works & hardly ever does. Next thing you know, we have spent more money wishing on one hand while we crapped on the other hand holding the better solution cause it was expensive... Can anyone else relate?

The Diamond D6 may not be cheap, but this sub I know for a fact will work in half a cube to .65 of space EXTREMELY well. It also happens to be an excellent SQ sub.

The Type R is a great sub, but in my experience always worked best in larger boxes compared to Diamonds. Not to mention that the D6 is a much better driver all around.

The trade-off with subs that work in smaller enclosures is always efficiency (too little space creates a stiffer suspension) thus requiring more power.

So there you have an example of what will work...
There are other choices of-coarse, Diamond is not your only solution.
Just stick to these facts if you want to continue with subs under the rear seat of the RAMs...
1) You want a sub that will work in .4-.65^3
2) You want to feed them the proper amount of power
3) Use polyfill to extend their low end response

·
RAM user
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another reason i say the type r's is because i work for a retail store that has them and i get them at cost versus the d6's costing me out the arse! trust me if i could i would go for the D6's all the way.

·
Hemi Power
2,017 Posts
Edited: Nevermind, I just read you don't want the center console box...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Charvel350 said:
another reason i say the type r's is because i work for a retail store that has them and i get them at cost versus the d6's costing me out the arse! trust me if i could i would go for the D6's all the way.
I think you missed the point I made in the 1st paragraph on my previous post...

Take what ever you have invested currently... now you are looking to invest some more on another solution, you are obviously not sure on. Not exactly what I would recommend you do (again).

Looking at last years Type-R's Thiele\Data... the 10" Type-R's might work. I can't find this years Thiele Data to say for sure if they will work as well... With that said you are going to get sound out of them, I was pointing out that they performed best in slightly bigger enclosures than (MY REFERRENCE SUB) the Diamond D6.

I didn't mean to sound like the D6 were the only way to go... but rather a good example of something that works to follow.

Perhaps the most important aspect of the situation is where you want the subs & the amount of Stiffness the small enclosure creates... to move it you will need the right amount of power.

I'm just pointing out the physics involved... regardless of cost... they will need to be met for good performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.