DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone got any feed back on what's the best way to go in lifting these trucks? Been thinking about the rancho 4", have read both good and bad on it? What's the best option?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I posted a question almost the same, came up with a no on the rancho and a yes for rancho, so I really looked around and decided on a 4" from BDS Suspension, has blocks in the back and replaces springs up front, I can't wait either gonna order it up on monday and will be installed (hopefully) on the 17 of Nov. Good luck with your search!

·
2005 Power Wagon
357 Posts
With BDS you also have the option of replacement rear leafs. And a long arm kit (which Rancho doesn't offer). That's the setup I have.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Kore makes a suspension system for the Power Wagon's. I would ask Marek (Desert Proven) what his thoughts are. It's not going to make it much taller than the current Power Wagon height, but I have to believe it will add to the performance of the truck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys, I haven't made up my mind yet, but when I do lift it I will post the pics.

·
Labrador Retrievers rule!
1,794 Posts
There is another thread about Rancho. Their kit Un-levels the front end on our Power Wagons according to someone else.
That would make me P.O.'d if I found that out after I installed the lift.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So, here's our take on the Power wagon set up................Those trucks are awesome. In my opinion, there's only a few things we can do to improve them. We can replace the front spring, but it's already pretty good. The rear is also really nice from the factory. Most of the systems we've sold for the Power Wagon involve changing out the shocks for the Chase series shocks. Replacing the steering damper adn replacing the control arms.

We've sold a couple set ups like that to guys on this forum, so hopefully they can chime in with their experiences. However, from what we know, the trucks rock with that set up.

This, by the way, is also a pretty cost effective option.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'll chime in since I have the set up described above by Desert Proven. It is definately an improvement on an already good set up from the factory. If improved performance is your goal, I highly recommend it.

I don't think these guys wanting to lift are concerned about improving performance, however. They just want the truck higher. That's fine if it's what you want, but be aware you will sacrifice performance for height of you lift the truck.

·
Registered
761 Posts
^^I am not interesting in lifting my truck, I am content running 35s with no rubbing and would rather keep the wieght low. However, I am interested in better shocks/dampener and control arms.

A few questions?
What did that setup cost? How do the shocks handle?? as far as general performance, rebound, washboard roads, higher speed trails, and other offroad situations??

Also, DP, do you guys offer any kind of traction bar setup for the rear? I am looking for something that will help keep axel wrap and wheel hop to a minimum but not sacrifice articulation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I paid around $1200 for the shocks. Steering dampeners are around $500. I actually found one in the classifieds on this site so I paid less. I think pricing has recently changed so I'll let DP give you the update on that. Also, I have not changed the control arms; just the shocks and the steering dampener.

I wrote some of my initial impressions regarding the shocks on another thread. Also wrote about the dampener. Without going over it all again, I'll just say that the noticeable improvements come when you push the truck at higher speeds in rough terrain.

I think like most guys I bought this truck because of the lockers and the sway bar. It was not until I started using it that I realized you could cover ground at a pretty good clip for a 7000 lb truck. After reading what DP and Keg Parker had to say about the suspension on the truck, I asked what would be the best improvements to make. I was told the chase shocks would make a big difference so I put a set on.

When these guys talk "big difference" you need to stop and think about what they do with their trucks. They do not drive around observing the various forms of wildlife and local flowers and talk about how Cadillac-like their trucks ride. They haul ass across the desert as fast as they can and then share stories about how they can do it even faster next time.

That being said, the shocks and dampener have made a huge difference for me and are well worth the money because I need (and like) to be able to go fast comfortably across rough terrain. I don't know if it's worth the money for everybody, however. I think it's like owning a BMW. If you like to drive, it's worth it. However, if the finer points of automotive engineering are lost on you, don't bother.

·
Registered
761 Posts
^thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.
I do ALOT of driving on washed out dirt and sand roads with bumps, whoops, etc. The truck handles this terrain great, but I would like to do it faster and more comfortably, therefore I think I will def. look into these shocks and dampener for the future.

thanks, again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone got any experience with the rancho 9000 shocks? Just wondering if they would be a good option or not? I like the idea of an adjustable shock, if they are any good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts