DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to everyone in dodge talk. i am new to performance upgrades on the dodge's. i have a 99 dodge dakota r/t. my performance up grades so far are. k&n intake,headers,tru-duals(magna-flow mufflers,no cats) 4:56 gears. i was about to purchase a 2800 converter and valve body to help with the trans. so what are the best bang for your buck upgrades?

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Crower 1.7 roller rockers really wake up a 5.9. I had those in my ole '01 5.9 and they were very impressive. Converters really help coming off the line and are a must to give you better 60' launches at the track. And of course a good pcm flash. I can write you a NICE pcm flash for that truck using SCT. I've got quite a few happy r/t owners out there.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks hemifever. the rockers sound good. the setup i was looking at is a fastman converter,valve body,and throttle body. i want to do maybe a cam, ignition, rockers, intake, and a custom flash. the problem is which ones and what do i need for the setups?

· Registered
1,829 Posts
I had a Fastman 50mm tb for a bit and then I used an APS 52mm tb. Both were great. I like the KRC cams of course. Crower 1.7 rockers are really good and the M1 intake. With the M1 intake, you will lose a little bottom end but a good custom flash will bring that back to life. Mix that with the light weight of the Dakota and it's a fat combination.

· The Cherry Express
4,612 Posts
I don't like the RPM's I have to turn to do 70 on the freeway, & that's with the stock 3:92's I guess you dont do a lot of freeway driving?

· Registered
590 Posts
bryan99r/t said:
hello to everyone in dodge talk. i am new to performance upgrades on the dodge's. i have a 99 dodge dakota r/t. my performance up grades so far are. k&n intake,headers,tru-duals(magna-flow mufflers,no cats) 4:56 gears. i was about to purchase a 2800 converter and valve body to help with the trans. so what are the best bang for your buck upgrades?

4:56`s are great for the track, but if ya do a lot of highway driving id split the diff and go 4:10s.

as for the converter, it is best to have it match your cam. i reccomend you do the converter last. go with the M-1, 52MM tb(F&B is a nice piece and is the best out there), rockers, ect. remember, when ya do the cam change, you will need new springs and a guide plate kit(rev kit). socaldakota.com has a offers a great crower grind for mild bolt on mods.

you have a great build in mind, have fun, keep us informed and do ask for opinions and questions.

check out delphiforums.com/dakotart for more info on how we hot rod these trucks

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey razman131 i heard alot of good things about the fastman's product. is your decision of the f&b one of choice or results. and if so how much are they, just wondering. what do you think of the mopar products(rockers, cam, etc.)

· Registered
590 Posts
bryan99r/t said:
hey razman131 i heard alot of good things about the fastman's product. is your decision of the f&b one of choice or results. and if so how much are they, just wondering. what do you think of the mopar products(rockers, cam, etc.)
F&B based on results and lots of opinions. it has been proven that a F&B will outflow and outperfrom and Fastman. Dan is a great guy and now both him and Bruce of F&B. i got a smokin deal and couldnt pass it up on the F&B(~$380). let your budget decide for ya. Most Fastmans are bored stoker pieces where as the F&B is a solid machined billet unit.

Most MOPAR pieces such as rockers and such are Crane clones. cant go wrong if ya get them at a good price. MOPAR cams for the Magnum series motors traditionaly are for carbed applications so you will live with CELs until you get the ECM flashed for that cam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.