DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in California we have the strictest laws known to mankind. A few weeks ago I got a "fix it" ticket for not having a license plate on the front of my truck and also for not having mudflaps because my big 37" tires stick out past the wheel well. Anyway, seems like a simple question, but what do you guys recommend for mudflaps on a lifted Ram 1500 longbed? Keep in mind my tires are a bit wide (37" Cooper Discoverer STTs) on a 7" lift. I bought some cheap small generic flaps from Autozone (i know, please no insults :eek: ) and ended up taking them back because they looked obviously too small and the officer put in charge of signing off the mudflap ticket would likely laugh.

Anyone know of inexpensive mud flaps for wider, larger tires that will easily install onto a big 7" lifted 98 Ram 1500 with wider than average tires?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Do you need Mud Flaps or some Fender Flares? Post some pics of the Truck

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Go check out a truck stop and see what they have in there store

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you need Mud Flaps or some Fender Flares? Post some pics of the Truck
did you read my post? i said mud flaps are what i need. i never said anything about flares, although I have thought of buying them before I never have had the extra cash recently to do so.

Just to be clear this is not my picture. but this looks identical to my mine (size, tires, even color).

·
"Just!n"
58 Posts
make some custom ones out of diamond plate

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Yes I did read your post! You said (A few weeks ago I got a "fix it" ticket for not having a license plate on the front of my truck and also for not having mudflaps because my big 37" tires stick out past the wheel well) What good will Mud flaps do for your tires sticking out past the wheel wells?

·
Don't Fear the Reaper
1,638 Posts
You can try Pep Boys, or ORilleys. If they don't have anything try a Dodge dealer. I'm surprised you got away with the height and the cop didn't give you a ticket for that. I know what jerks they can be. The front license thing is BS! I never put a plate on any of my vehicles and have never had a problem, my Dad got a no front plates ticket once. The problem is when they want to get you for something, no plates is an easy ticket. That guy wanted to get you. You live in SoCal or NoCal? By looking at the grass & trees I'm guessing NoCal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Socal (well Central Valley). ya the amount of lift is not regulated (from what i know, thank god because you cant get a fix it ticket for your whole suspension setup haha) but according to CA law you must apparently have mudflaps if your tires are large enough diameter that they stick out longer than the back fender/wheel well (not sticking out too wide) and the front license plate BS.

Yes i know he wanted to give me a ticket for something. I am a young college aged guy with a huge lifted truck I seem to have a knack of getting cops attention easily. In fact i was on my way to the DMV to get my motorcycle permit to ride my new KTM and was pulled over for this BS.

Also got pulled over for it before and even once for tint (i have medium see-through tint, not too dark by any means) and was told thats illegal and was supposed to get a fix it ticket but the cop decided not to.

·
Mopar owner since 1977
1,204 Posts
You basicly have the same stupid law that Arizona has, wherein trucks have to be flapped and the mud flap is supposed to be long enough to extend to the center of the axle.
The stupid part is you can have a Jeep and this law doesn't effect you.
Having suffered through that situation I suggest you first start at a 4x4 shop like Desert Rat or similar. These places lift trucks and have to do it legally.
From there try a parts store or if you have them, Tractor supply or something similar. You may end up with semi style flaps but with a little savy, you can make them removable for off roading.
As an older fellow with a lifted truck, I seem to be invisible to cops. But I had to learn (which started in college) the hard way that there are certain things that do attract thier attention beside a lift. After reading your signature, I can guess you're every cops dream come true. But I degress and wish you the best.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think I still have some MOPAR ones with the Ram's head still brand new in the package out in the garage ....

If maxiderm doesn't want them... i'd like to have em.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if they are 11 X 19 and you give me a decent price on them i sure will take em (if you havent already delt with Smokeybones)

·
Registered
626 Posts
RAM MAN If maxiderm want's them then he can have them, if not i'll take em if the price is good... Sorry about the Hijack.

·
RAM IT
421 Posts
did you read my post? i said mud flaps are what i need. i never said anything about flares, although I have thought of buying them before I never have had the extra cash recently to do so.

Just to be clear this is not my picture. but this looks identical to my mine (size, tires, even color).
The part that is sticking out is illegal. I had the same ticket on my truck, you need flares, not just mud flaps (atleast in pa, the tire cannot stick out more that 1-3/4" or something like that). It may be differnt where you are but where I am you need the flares to be legal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mud Flaps

I have the same lift and tires. No big deal. Most states law says mud flaps have to be to the middle of the rear axle tubes. I got mine at a semi supply store and narrowed them up. They look GREAT! Also the bushwacker or Mopar fender flares are a nice addition.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
In VA I was required to have flares as you can only have 3" past the fender and I have 3.75", so I had to install flares. They did not make me put on mud flaps though. When you do get some on post a picture of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
im in WI, Ive been told while i was puled over for a different issue, that i should have mud flaps cause of my lift, they didn't say anything about fender flares.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yall make me happy to live in the South. The only law I can think of when it comes to lifting your truck is how high the headlights can be. I think once you slap anything bigger than a 40'', you need some headlights on the bottom of your bumper, but thats about it for us I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.