DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think that Dodge may very well make the worst housing box for a air filter. I broke all 4 of the back clips today and figured that I might as well just get a new intake system. I was just wondering what you guys thought might be the best out there. I'm looking to get more power out of my truck so please tell my which ones will help me do that.

2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 QC
Fairly Stock Yet (Thats going to change now).

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
How on earth did you break all four of the clips, in one setting nonetheless?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I must be special. But really what is the best intake out there?
And try not to make it super expensive. Around 200$ would be nice.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got a K&N FIPK that I bought for under $220 off ebay. I've also got the OEM snorkel and air box if you want to buy that.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
redrams77
How much do you want for that? I'd really like to go aftermarket but I suppose I could wait. I only live 45 minutes from you. I'm from North Bend, NE. Only 15 miles west of Fremont. My ultimate goal would be to get that K&N kit that you have. But I don't know. I really want to get a new intake system. It would really bring some more snap to my 360.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Make me an offer I can't refuse. I've also got the K&N drop in filter for it. You can save on shipping since we can meet up somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey guys question for ya. Will a open air intake system make a difference on my 4 cylinder dakota? if I order one from AirAid will it improve my performance? gas millage? and Is it leagal in california?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree, that is a horrible design for the airbox. It took me 10 minutes to get the clamp to fit right over the TB.

I am ordering the 360 PowerShot intake for mine. It looks a lot better than the K&N, and you can get it ceramic coated for $20 extra. They have them on sale right now for $189.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Vash said:
airade or the 360 intake from our sponcer are both good and there not plastic like k&n is.
Actually, I have had both (Airaid and K&N), and the K&N is a far superior product. Airaid is metal yes, but that metal sits right above the exhaust manifold and intake. Mine would get so hot from the rising heat that you almost couldn't touch it (imagine the temp of the air inside that tube). The plastic does not allow nearly as much heat saturation. It's only drawback is cracking, but all you have to do is make sure you only snug it down. If you tighten the airbox down too much, the plastic will crack. If you take that one precaution, the K&N will last a long time.

The K&N also locates the filter in a much better spot, up front by the grill where cold air is coming right in on it ahead of the engine heat (escpecially if you remove the passenger side rubber radiator panel). The K&N also has it's own heat shield surrounding the filter. This blocks a great deal of the heat from the exhaust manifolds. The Airaid by contrast sits the filter directly above the exhaust manifold, so all it does is pull in hot air.

Lastly, the Airaid filter is enormous, much too big in my opinion. It is also very thin compared to the K&N, so you hear a lot of sucking noise from you TB through the filter. The K&N is quieter, and performs better.

And lastly, when I removed the Airaid, the metal tube was starting to rust. It is a really poor design. I tested both for about 4 months each, and in my opinion, the K&N is far superior (when comparing only these two).

·
Registered
240 Posts
:rck:

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I don't have any expereince with that to give you a qualified answer, sorry. This is just the things I noticed with my 5.2.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.