951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any input-good, bad, or ugly on headers? Have an '05 5.7 4X4

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
m37boblee said:
Any input-good, bad, or ugly on headers? Have an '05 5.7 4X4
We carry the PACE SETTER headers, they seem to be the biggest bang for the buck when you consider how much they cost.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
yea i bought them and like them but havent put them on yet, they are the best bang for the buck, some of the guys liek the edelbrock tes headers but tis a matter of choice.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
We carry the PACE SETTER headers, they seem to be the biggest bang for the buck when you consider how much they cost.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Will the pacesetter setup you've got listed bolt into my truck? I'm going to keep the OE cat just for no code problems. Is the ceramic coating on them already equal to something like Jet-Hot's coating? I want a set of longtubes and have been looking at the Dynatech setup for awhile but that kind of $$ is hard to get together right now.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
The stock cats have a smaller pipe then the Pacesetters headers so you'll have to have a muffler shop expand the y-pipe out a little and weld everthing together. I got the Pacesetter y-pipe and Magnaflow cats with the non-fouler mod and have no codes. The biggest problem IMO with the stock exhaust is the y section of the y-pipe. here's a pic of the Pacesetter and stock......

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
AIR_RAM said:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I have a question about the true value of the Pacesetters. They are quite inexpensive for a long tube, but I never see anyone factor in the "other costs". Things like header coating, modifying the stock exhaust, buying and installing hi-flo cats, etc. The Dynamax setup is quite expensive but comes with everything needed at about $1,200 give or take. It can be easily installed in your driveway in an afternoon and looks to give awesome gains.

So what is the price per hp gain for the Pacesetter setup with the extra muffler shop work, prep on the headers, and hi-flow cats? My research shows the total cost to be about $800 to do the Pacesetters right. Does the Dynamax setup give enough "extra" gain to justify the extra coin?

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
total cost for me for lt's, dynatech gaskets, stage 8 bolts, 2 highflow cats and a ypipe plus all the welding that i cant do about 800! still 400 less than the dynatechs and i will have cutouts

·
Armed QC
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just bought a set of SSI tri y SS headers on ebay- $155. I guess I'll be a test subject for these- they look good.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
get some new gaskets and stage 8 locking header bolts, the bolts will save you much time of only having to tighten them once.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Wow I have never seen a stock Y-pipe up close like that, that thing is smashed down to half of its intended size!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You would still need to get them coated,whether they are stainless or mild steel.
The temperatures under the hood are much hotter without coating them.
Way hotter.

·
Armed QC
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my SSI headers today! They look very good, came with crossover and y pipe. Where can I get the stage 8 locking bolts? These headers have a 1/2" flange- will the stage 8 bolts be long enough-or are they offered in different lengths?
Anyone else used these?(headers)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.