Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Draagyn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm wondering what brand of brakes is best for my truck. I do lots of traveling and I live in an area with some steep declines. I don't pull too much however I want brakes that are going to last long and are worth the money. Additionally, when I do put the brakes on the truck, should I also purchase brakes fluid?

I realize these are rudimentary questions but I'm a 23 yr old college student:teacher: trying to learn as much as possible about my truck because I plan on keeping it for a long long time. Thanks for the help.

I was doing some research and I think I'm leaning towards EBC yellowstuff however I'm not sure yet.

On a separate note, I'm researching a Banks High Ram Intake but I'm not sure if it's worth $300-500.

V/R

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
No you don't need any brake fluid when replacing brakes. You do need brake cleaner though- clean off the new rotors before going on a drive. You'll need to "break" them in as well, a couple long stops followed by some quick stops should do it. Other than that, I'll let the others chime in on which are best!

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Well, recently and for the second time, I decided to save some $$$ and NOT buy the OEM pads. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Back in 03 I got NAPA Premium pads and they would not stop squealing no matter what. This time the dealer wanted $175 for the OEMs. I did not want to spend that so i wasted $100 on the Dodge Valu-Line pads. Well, guess what? Valu-Lines SUCK!!!!!!!! I had them off three different times trying to make them stop squealing. How did I get it to finally stop you ask? I contacted Steve White Motors in NC and bought the real OEM pads for a whole lot less than the local dealer's price. The OEMs have a thick spongy backing on them that apparently is the big difference. All I know is that I will NEVER buy anything else for the fronts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just recently bought the greenstuff 7000 series from Moe's performance. Somebody on here recommended them to me so I tried them. I paid $105 for them and I guess they are ok. I can't give a great recommendation on them yet. When they were first installed, they squealed like crazy. It drove me nuts. I think I've put on about 1,000 miles on them and the squealing is a lot less than before. They still squeal but not as bad. Hopefully the noise will end soon. Geno's garage also sells some pads for about $75 dollars. Haven't heard anything good or bad about those. Good luck

·
AROD'S TRUCK
4,410 Posts
Definantly do not buy wagner thermo quiets what pieces of junk I thought I was saving money and getting a good deal but what crap. Also do not get Mopars V-line if you can spend the extra and get OEM pads that would be better, if you want to got that route. Good luck

·
Draagyn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was doing some research and I think I'm leaning towards EBC yellowstuff however I'm not sure yet.

On a separate note, I'm researching a Banks High Ram Intake but I'm not sure if it's worth $300-500.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
EBC Yellowstuff pads are good, but they are a bit much for OEM rotors in my opinion. If you are also upgrading the rotors, they would be a good choice, but if you are staying with the OEM rotors, I think the EBC Greenstuff 7000s would be a better choice.

I installed the EBC Greenstuff 7000s on my Power Wagon and I am happy with them, they are a definite improvement over OEM. They squealed alot when I first installed them, but the instructions warned they may for the first 1000 miles. I followed the "bed in" instructions: light braking for the first 200 miles and then make 5 heavy brake applications from 60 MPH to 20 MPH and they quieted right down. They aren't silent, but they are quieter than the OEM I replaced. They aren't dust free, but there is much less dust than OEM. They definitely stop better then OEM, not night and day difference, but they definitely feel better in my opinion.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Genos sells Valu-Lines...

I'll sell my Valu-Lines for $25 shipped if someone wants them. They have about 1200 miles on them......

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would go with the OEM pads and if you did not have any trouble with your old ones do not turn your drums jest keep the grease of of them when working on them.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
I have to agree with those who say OEM pads are the shit. Im running them onmy truck and my dad did his pads at 150k and turned the rotors. He tows a boat load of things and he loves the OEM's. He is usually faithfull to our local auto parts but this time he went with OEM's and so did I. No regrets here.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
OE pads seem the best in most vehicles I have worked on. I recommend flushing the brake fluid when you do a brake job.

·
Draagyn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I purchased EBC Yellowstuff for the front and EBC 6000 series Greenstuff for the rear. We'll see how it turns out.

I also purchased a Banks High-Ram Intake with a boost tube so I'm STOKE! I'll let you guys know how it all works out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the Banks Hi-ram on mine. I love it. The "butt-dyno" sez it makes a big difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.