DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See sig for truck details. I tow the max allowed for a 1/2 ton when we go to the desert. My truck is also my daily driver.

My question is: What more can I add to my truck to increase the power?

Thanks,
D.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
What gears do you have? 392 min or 410s better if you tow.

Fastman 50mm tb
Pacesetter long tube headers & ypipe
SCT tuner

If thats not enough and money isnt an issue, add a supercharger. Either Procharger(my choice) or Vortech just keep the boost down & the headgaskets will stay happy(8psi max).

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
i'd say try the cheaper stuff first...
cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, blaster coil, electric fan, headers & TB.

Then if thats not enuff then maybe a cam/rockers or gears...& top it off with a programmer like hypertech, superchips, SCT or a PCM flash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc. Current gears are 355s......so I was thinking gears and then headers?

If I re-gear to 410s will that raise or lower my rpms compared to where the rpms are now at 60 mph? I tow with OD off.

Thanks,
D.

·
Registered
256 Posts
RPMs will definetly raise. But, difference is that with the bigger gears you would actually be able to tow and use OD. Also, some even notice mild mpg. improvements due to not having to work motor as hard on takeoffs and going up hills. Not to mention greatly improved acceleration off the line!!!! Sorry, that would be the drag racer coming out in me.

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
I didn't put them on yet but I just got March underdrive pulleys from summit for $50. Might help out.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
I agree, 1.7rr would be a good addition but I would leave the cam alone.

Fans/pulleys would be a poor choice IMHO. Remember, he is towing max load in the desert! Running ac, truck/trailer lights and brakes require more power from the alt. Fans needed will have to be big & put more strain on the alt. Pulleys reduce alt output and reduce water pump speed along with cooling abilities. With fans you really only see a performance gain off the line. The viscous clutch disengages the stock fan so the amount of power lost is minimal especially at highway speeds.

Superchips & Hypertechs have a tendancy to ping and dont add much in the way of power. In high heat towing max limit, the chance it will ping are great. B&G flash is a one tune deal and I would not suggest it. SCT tuner much better choice as you get 3 tunes. Get one for economy, one for towing and one for performance (when not towing). Hemifever has a group buy going if you act fast. Nothing but great reviews on performance gained with it.

Just notice, if those are 33" tires I woud go with 410 gears minimum. Big cost but its really needed for a QC 4x4 towing the max load. Yes it will increase rpms but that will put the motor at a better rpm so it makes more power and doesnt have to work as hard.

While you will not see the same gains as I did (Indy is well under stock wt) the link below will give you an idea of how well some of the bolt on mods being suggested work compared to others. I try to track test everything I can.

http://www.rm-indy.com/Performance_Gains.htm

Edit - cool, post # 1000!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. I really hate to see my rpms increase with re-gearing though.....I'm right around 2500 - 2700 rpms at 60mph with OD off.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
So RM Indy, if u had to choose between a cam & rr, you'd get the rr? I've heard theres no reason to get both. What do they normally run for & what gains could i expect? I've always wanted more power in my 5.2.

Edit: sorry i'm an idiot at engine stuff, i found some info.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
DigitalD said:
Thanks for all the info. I really hate to see my rpms increase with re-gearing though.....I'm right around 2500 - 2700 rpms at 60mph with OD off.
ya, but your running with o/d off. if you got the gears, you could turn o/d on and would be runnin around the same. i personally do not leave o/d off even when towing with a big load. i usually get up to about 60mph and then flip o/d on as i do not want to cause too much heat to build up in the transmission. with 4:10 gears you will be turning around 2500 with o/d on roughly.(should anyway).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought towing with OD on was a big no-no for our trucks, even after re-gearing.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
DigitalD said:
I thought towing with OD on was a big no-no for our trucks, even after re-gearing.
well, i am running original transmission, with the original transmission fluid from the factory and have right at 180,000 miles on it and i always turn o/d when that happens. of course i always watch for the hills, and if it gets too bad instead of turning o/d off, i give it enough gas to kick down a gear. To eaach their own on this one. It just depends on how you want to do it.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
SmokinMirror said:
get 4.56 Gears.
yes, i would go with those. for some reason i wrote 4:10's instead of 4:56.:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1 for 4.56 gears

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
....with 4:56s would my rpms still be around 2700?

Hey jmw.....how heavy are you towing?

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
87 Posts
your rpms will rise even MORE with 4.56 gears than 4.10's, I have 33" tires on my 5.9l 4x4 qc, and originally the truck had 3.55 gears...i put in 4.56 gears and at 100kmph (exactly) my rpms are at 2000 with od ON. BUT i tow a travel trailer that weighs approx 11,000 lbs empty weight. I tow with od OFF because IF the truck actually does make it into OD it only stays there for about 2 seconds and then has to gear down. When driving @ 100kmph towing my trailer with OD OFF, my rpms are at 3000...hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
DigitalD said:
....with 4:56s would my rpms still be around 2700?

Hey jmw.....how heavy are you towing?

Thanks,
D
on my setup of the original gears i tow anywhere from 2-3 ton on any given day. I have done 4 ton and the most noticeable thing was the braking power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.