DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 diesel engine belt squeals or chirps when I shut the truck off. Dealership says its normal. I think they are B.S. ing me. Anybody know of a fix for this problem?

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is VERY common on the 12v engines. What is happening is the compression of the engine stopps the harmonic balacer faster than the belt and the subsiquent accessories (ac compressor, alternator, p/s pump) So you get a squeek. Nothing major. Guys have found on the 12v engines that the Goodyear Gatorback belt helps get rid of it.

Josh

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't know about yours, but when I got mine new there was a tag hanging on the cigarette lighter with info on the engine. One of the things that it said was you may notice a squeak on shut down. No harm, no foul, no BS'ing. You'll notice it more in the summer months if you have the A/C on at shutdown. Just the high compression stopping the engine faster than the belt can stop.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This may be the only time I have heard of the dealer telling the truth :D Yeah, its normal.....mine has been doing that since day one. Its funny to hear all the powerstroke guys say "hey, whats wrong with your truck?....mine doesnt do that." I just grin and reply...."exactly" :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
yup its normal and shakes the truck when you shut it off.I love it now if i just had air brakes lol

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Yea it's normal...[/DeadHorse]

I remember one time whn I pulled up to one of those side of the road car washes and when I turned it off, one of the girls jmped 2 feet back. One second I was laughin because of it... then the next I was frowning just because of how annoying it is. I know of a few that have gone out and bought a replacement belt that has solved the problem.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
That shake is exactly why most guys dont run fiberglass hoods. The "death rattle" can cause cracks at the mounting points. I was going to install a functional scoop on mine but a friend that does bodywork said I'd be wasting time and $$$.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
mine does it too!!! * I hate it. * I like when it rains or after i wash then engine down, the belt is nice and wet and doesnt do the chirp! its like a breath of fresh air!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!!! I just turned over 1700 miles on my new
2005... and was about to take it into a dealer and ask them whats up!!
but looks like I will have to live with the noise/chirp......

·
Registered
852 Posts
Almost 10k miles on my 2005 in 3 months,and its squealed on shut down since day 1. No worries. Most of these guys on DT know their sh*t about diesels, so take their advice and worry no more....

·
Registered
442 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.