DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just started using my ac this year and when the clutch engages it squeals like crazy when i take off for a few seconds then it is ok. the belt is a new one when i put on the summit pulley(i have the gatorback one they listed for it), the tensioner seemed a little weak so i just put on an oem mopper one, seems a little better but still squeals. the ac clutch seems a little stiff when you turn it by hand, not sure what it should feel like for comparison. with the truck running with the ac clutch engaged the belt looks like its flopping around between the alt pulley and the tensioner pulley, and then no movement with the ac off.:ugh sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure i gave everyone all the facts so hopefully someone can help, thanks as always guys.:worthy::gr_patrio

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Does sound a bit like the compressor is dragging too much, but I don't have any idea whether it should be easy or harder to turn the pulley by hand. The tensioner should move a fair bit with all the accessories engaged.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my buddy said it could possibly be a bad or old belt that i got when i ordered my pulley, if it was sitting around for a while it could have "glazed" itself after installation or stretched. he said i should try a new belt before i diagnose it as the compressor. i did a search and there was a gates belt listed that was 3/4 of an inch shorter than the goodyear and i think it was also a 7 rib instead of 6 rib. anyone know anything about this, the # is K070976.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I saw that but I think he also has the od alternator pulley. Will that belt still fit with the stock alt pulley?

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Maybe its the pulley. Sometimes the finish is too smooth and the belt has no traction. Try taking some sand paper or scotch brite to rough it up a little or worst case have it sand blasted. Cheap fix that may work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.