DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 5.9L Durango, there's a lot of lbs. of torque being apllied on the belt from the water pump and a/c compressor. I've been dealing with a wierd problem in my 5.9 L for a little while. It comes down to, I have too much being applied to my belt, and it's wearing it way to quickly. Does anyone know of a way of testing the A/C compressor to see if it needs a bearing or something? Does anyone have any other ideas on what it could be?
Lev-
The Desert Durango

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
the pulleys may be misaligned or you have a bad bearing somewhere. Eyeball the alignment of the belts/accessories, take off the belt and wiggle the pulleys if they look straight.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
just keep your fingers crossed that you dont have a water pump going bad. pita to replace. Where is your temp guage at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
water pump

Well my gauge normally sits where it should. One time this summer when I was pulling my boat, the gauge started hopping up to a real scary level, but when I turned the AC off it would just go back down to normal. It kind of seemed like a sticky thermostat. Nothing wierd has happened since. My truck just creeped over the 100k mark, which is kind of scary. Is the water pump a bitch to install? I still have my truck sitting at the dealership. I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow, but I still am pissed about my belt situation. Something's wrong but i can't figure it out. If a water pump was to go, would it cause extra tension?

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
DesertDurango said:
Well my gauge normally sits where it should. One time this summer when I was pulling my boat, the gauge started hopping up to a real scary level, but when I turned the AC off it would just go back down to normal. It kind of seemed like a sticky thermostat. Nothing wierd has happened since. My truck just creeped over the 100k mark, which is kind of scary. Is the water pump a bitch to install? I still have my truck sitting at the dealership. I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow, but I still am pissed about my belt situation. Something's wrong but i can't figure it out. If a water pump was to go, would it cause extra tension?
The water pump itself isn't hard (8 bolts I think), it's just the removal of all the other crap that makes it a PITA.

Check your tensioner, those are known to fail every once and a while.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
What makes you say that too much torque is being applied by the water pump or AC? Belt tension is controlled by the spring loaded tensioner.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Failure of the tensioner results from the spring losing it's "omph." This should result in a loose belt that occasionally squeals, not a tight one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spring tensioner

Very very good point my friends. I haven't been smoking the wacky tobaccy, but I just got a notion like I was! Well I'm going to go look for some specs and see if I can get the true measure of what that spring tensioner should be. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
DesertDurango said:
I haven't been smoking the wacky tobaccy
hmmm wacky tobaccy :smokin:

me thinks thou dost protest too much.

LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.