DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have an 06 4.7 with about 75,000 miles on it. The other day, I noticed some squeeling/chirping coming from the engine bay. Its intermittent and pretty randomly occurring. I only noticed it in the truck with the windows down when I was moving it in my driveway. it doesn't last long, usually less than a second. I popped open the hood to get a good look, and didn't find anything visually wrong. Revved the motor to see if that had an effect, and didn't notice anything.

Is there any way I can check that it's the belt or one of the several things running off of the belt? I tend to do long trips (250ish miles at a time) and I'd hate to be stranded on the side of the road with a broken belt or a water pump that ate up the bearings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Visually inspect the condition of the belt for cracks along the ribs or glazing. A belt noise is usually a loud squeal but chirping can occur.

If you can't get the problem to repeat itself long enough for you to listen to it, remove the belt and rotate all of the pulleys by hand, if any of them are loose or don't rotate smoothly, replace said pulley.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
The garden hose trick to the ear, use as stethiscope, My guess is bearing on one of the idler or tensioner is going bad

·
Fathead
1,046 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Replaced the belt, both idler pullies, and the tensioner. A couple days later the water pump seized. Mine was a very random chirp, not really a squeal...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'll have to try these ideas out. Thanks guys. I'll let y'all know what I find

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.