DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything looks normal exept the battery gauge reads 10 when at a complete stop, as soon as I start driving the battery gauge goes up to 14 and the red check gauge light goes off. I hope it's not to serious.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It could become serious when you have a dead battery. Check to see if your battery terminals are clean and tight onto the battery posts. It could also be the battery it self not taking a charge. But from the sounds of it, it sounds more like the alternator. Run down to your local auto parts store and have them run a charger system test. That will give you a better idea about whats going on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different types of alternators out there

I was checking ebay and some alternators have 220amps and some have less amps,I do plan on getting a stereo amplifer some day, do I need the highest 220 amp or should I go with less amps ?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I’m not very familiar with Dodge’s 318 or 360s. I think the biggest factory alternator is 160amps, not I’m not 100% sure on that. I my self would not use any thing bigger than a factory specs b/c you could set off your CEL.

If it is in deed your alternator I’d be making some phone calls you’re your Dodge dealer and local auto parts stores and see what they say is the largest. Do some research on the forums or on Google into how big of an alternator Mopar has made for the 318s and 360s. Check on Jeep and Chrysler vehicles as well. I know in 1998 Jeep put the 360 in the Grand Cherokee and it came with a bigger stereo system, so possibly the alternator was larger too. It should be a direct bolt on replacement for you.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You may have an equipment label under the hood that will tell you what size alt. you have. 220amps sounds WAY high for a Mopar alternator. I have a full loaded '94 conversion van w/rear air/heat, TV, VCR, mood lighting, etc. and alt. is the 120amp model.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good advice.

When I hit the offroad lights switch they sometimes takes them 2 min. before they turn on,and sometimes not at all, the battery gauge is fine now,idle at 12 and driving is 14. I wonder if those two electrical problems might be connected in some way? I played with the wires behind the switch and the offroad lights didn't turn on.The green light on the switch works.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It could very well be your drawing to much power, and your alternator can’t keep up. You mite consider installing capacitor between your lights and your battery. The capacitor will act like another battery it self, a lot like a buffer per-say. People with big stereo systems use them. As long as you don’t have your off-road lights on for hours on and, you shouldn’t have a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.