DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just installed a soft bed cover on my truck. Now I am looking for some type of possable bed lighting so I can see in the back at night. I was going to use the white neon tubes and stick them "under the rail" but as winter is approaching here in New england the flourescents just wont cut it in cold climates. I am wanting to go with some 12 volt type of halogens or similar that I can use and place under the rail so it is out of the way and out of site.

I guess my question is does anyone have something like this or have any possable ideas of what 12V lights are available on the market?

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
I suggest a fog light type thing then. You can connect it to your Cargo light and have placed on the bed side where the cab is and face it facing downwards.

·
Where is my money tree?
793 Posts
Wiring a light would be interesting. May want to consider a battery powered light for ease. Or bite the bullet could always wire leds under the bed rail...

For me personally i think it would be hard to place a light somewhere that it was not likely to get damaged. Maybe double sided tape on the undeside of your lid.

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
Or... you could hook up a toggle switch in the rear and have it wired to your 12 volt source and simply be able to flick it on and off right on the rear.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
jaurora said:
I had just installed a soft bed cover on my truck. Now I am looking for some type of possable bed lighting so I can see in the back at night. I was going to use the white neon tubes and stick them "under the rail" but as winter is approaching here in New england the flourescents just wont cut it in cold climates. I am wanting to go with some 12 volt type of halogens or similar that I can use and place under the rail so it is out of the way and out of site.

I guess my question is does anyone have something like this or have any possable ideas of what 12V lights are available on the market?

Thanks for the ideas.
I have neons under the bed rails and the cold climate here in PA dosen't bother them in the least! Here's my purple neons! White would light it up even better!

Attachments

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
maka said:
Or... you could hook up a toggle switch in the rear and have it wired to your 12 volt source and simply be able to flick it on and off right on the rear.
That's what I did! I have a switch mounted behind the drivers side tail light behind the bedrug!

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
You could buy 2 Line of Fire light bars (one for each side) mounted to the inside of the bed and hook it up so that when you turn on a switch, the white (reverse) LED's would come on. Now that would be cool!

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
jdr1234 said:
You could buy 2 Line of Fire light bars (one for each side) mounted to the inside of the bed and hook it up so that when you turn on a switch, the white (reverse) LED's would come on. Now that would be cool!
Now that's an interesting idea!:rck:

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
jdr1234 said:
You forgot to say
"But please do not put truck in reverse and then walk behind the truck " ...
would run yourself over LOL

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
maka said:
You forgot to say
"But please do not put truck in reverse and then walk behind the truck " ...
would run yourself over LOL
LOL-yeah, that would be bad.

. . . another thought is to put in a switch so that when the tailgate is opened, the white LED's come on automatically---->kind of like a refrigerator door. :IDEA:

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
jdr1234 said:

. . . another thought is to put in a switch so that when the tailgate is opened, the white LED's come on automatically---->kind of like a refrigerator door. :IDEA:
Wait... You mean its really not on when I close it?

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
maka said:
Wait... You mean its really not on when I close it?
:thatfunny Well climb in and have someone close the door. That's the only way to know for sure.:D

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
jdr1234 said:

Actually that wouldn't be that hard to do!:IDEA:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I added two small halogen fogs to the underside bracket of my ARE hard tonneau with a switch tucked up near bed rails on DS. They really light stuff up. Had already pulled a dedicated 12v fused line from the battery for Aux backup driving lights under the bumper.

Initially included a mercury tilt switch for the "refridgerator" idea but screwed that up by putting it on the power/supply wire instead of as a ground interrupt. Need to order a new switch.

You said you had a soft cover? So this set up probably wouldn't work. Have a look at the Cold Cathodes as an alternative.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123787&highlight=glow

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts
When i get around to it, im just going to go to home depot or wal mart and get those round lights that you press and they light up, and just stick them under the lid... if that doesnt work im out 10bux and i can try one of those fancy ideas yall are talking about!

-David

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
schawks73 said:
When i get around to it, im just going to go to home depot or wal mart and get those round lights that you press and they light up, and just stick them under the lid... if that doesnt work im out 10bux and i can try one of those fancy ideas yall are talking about!

-David
I tried that option and it didn't work. They wouldn't stay stuck for very long.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys for the ideas.

My intial plan was to use 2 white neons under the bedrail with a toggle in the bed area. I was worried about the florescents in the cold. The mercury in the lamp dosent vaporize as quickly but that seems to be the route I will take. Thank you for all of the help.

·
15,912 Posts
Hey Al,

How did you mount the neons under the rail? Do you have any issues when you put stuff back there that might damage the neons? Where did you get the neons? Same place as Craig(dale3fan3)? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
JeffB2002 said:
Hey Al,

How did you mount the neons under the rail? Do you have any issues when you put stuff back there that might damage the neons? Where did you get the neons? Same place as Craig(dale3fan3)? Thanks for the help!!
Well I tried seveal ways, but ended up using the nylon straps and screws that came with the lights to hold them up under the rails. No problems with anything hitting them. They are up in under the rails pretty good. I bought mine from Crutchfields, but if I did it again I would get them from the same place Craig did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.