DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and have been having a myriad of electrical issues. The oil pressure light and alarm go off most of the time (but not always) when you start the vehicle and the door locks engage frequently when the van isn't running. Also, the alarm goes off at times causing me great frustration since I don't have an original key fob. And lastly when using the key in the front doors, the electrical locks engage back and forth. I have to time how long I hold the key in the unlock position because if I wait too long it relocks the doors.

Reading here, I felt fairly sure it is the BCM. So I purchased one used for about $100 over the net, and put it in last night. However, while the engine started it would not stay running. It would shut down within two seconds of starting as if it is not getting gas. Put the old one back in and the engine runs fine. When I put the new one in, no door locks going off at all. But when I switch back to the old one and am mounting it back up under the dash the locks are going off like crazy.

So I called our Dodge dealer (who wanted $607.20 for a new BCM) and told him my saga. I told him I had a new one and it needed to be programmed. I was thinking I would drive it there on the old one, do the swap in the parking lot and leave it with him. He said he would check with the tech and call me back. He just did and said that on 1998 the BCM is burned at the factory and there is nothing he can do to it. That didn't seem to jive w/ me, but he was very nice and helpful, so I don't really have any reason to not believe him.

It seems odd that the BCM would not let the engine run. Does anyone have any ideas about that?

I'm really at my wits end and at a loss about what to do and could use all the help you guys can give me.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
194 Posts
The best advice on BCM problems are to get your original rebuilt. The BCM must match all of your options/year set up, other wise it won't run. Here is a link to a used BCM locater. It should lead you to a southern CA company who rebuilds these modules. Sorry, I don't have that link direct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.