DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to determine if my '06 ctd has a battery warming system. The truck came with a (stock) block heater that I plug in to 110 v. The batteries are wrapped in a felt like substance but that is about it as far as I can tell.

The drivers side battery tray has what looks like a sensor on the bottom of the tray with small wires going to it, but nothing like this on the passenger side batt.

Thx BDX.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Take some pics and post them of the batteries.... I personally have never used or had the need for a battery warmer, but I would like to see how it looks...

·
Registered
576 Posts
The batteries aren't actually heated, unless you have a special arctic package, like for those people in Alaska. The sensor takes the battery temp and is usually what triggers the CEL light in colder weather. I assume the wrap is to help with vibs and keep it in place.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Unless you have installed a silicone pad battery heater or a battery blanket wrap you do not have anything but the factory block heater. If you decide that you need a battery heater you will need to move the sensor from under your primary battery to another location or every time you plug in you will trip a CEL.
My truck has the factory heater + 150W oil pan heater + 75W tranny pan heater + 2-60W battery pads.

If you need you truck winterized like mine don't waste your money paying someone to do it. It takes 10 min. and a tube of RTV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where are you?

Can I ask where you live that you need to have all that?
Just wondering. I am a new diesel owner and I live in Maryland. We don't usually get DEEP freezes, but it can get rather cold here during the winter. Just wondering if something more than the block heater would be something to look into.
Thanks.

Paul
2004.5 Ram 3500 Dually
CTD

Ram4477 said:
Unless you have installed a silicone pad battery heater or a battery blanket wrap you do not have anything but the factory block heater. If you decide that you need a battery heater you will need to move the sensor from under your primary battery to another location or every time you plug in you will trip a CEL.
My truck has the factory heater + 150W oil pan heater + 75W tranny pan heater + 2-60W battery pads.

If you need you truck winterized like mine don't waste your money paying someone to do it. It takes 10 min. and a tube of RTV.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I live near Fairbanks, Alaska. We have weeks or months where our high temps. for the day are well below zero and the low's can be as cold as -60 although -40-50 is more common.

I lived in North Dakota for a while and all I had there was the factory block heater but the coldest I usually seen there was -25 or so, and it didn't stay there for long. I would say it probably wouldn't be worth the electric bill for you. But of course that's up to you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you remove the sensor from under your main battery tray? I located it, but could not get it out and did not want to do remove the battery unless I had to.

thx BDX .

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
lenharpd said:
Can I ask where you live that you need to have all that?
Just wondering. I am a new diesel owner and I live in Maryland. We don't usually get DEEP freezes, but it can get rather cold here during the winter. Just wondering if something more than the block heater would be something to look into.
Thanks.

Paul
2004.5 Ram 3500 Dually
CTD
I have never plugged a CTD in so I don't think you will have a problem where you live

·
Registered
224 Posts
BDX--Unplug the wire from under the tray and the sensor pulls out from the top, you do have to remove the battery. Mine went pretty easily.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've seen 72 below...but I usually draw the line and not start mine at 45 below or colder, but it is pluged in 24/7 once temps get down to freezing ( read sig.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
If i have to drive mine when it's that cold and i can't get it inside the shop it will run all day on fast idle (1500rpm) while i'm at work. Although if i can help it I just don't leave the house at all when it's below -50 or so.

I was just down in Delta a few weeks back. Camped at the Clearwater catching beat up silvers for a couple days. You just can't beat a camp ground on a nice river with a bar, all within 100yds.

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have seen that. There was another arcticle in the news miner earlier this week. The trucks are still there. Here's a link if you haven't seen it http://newsminer.com/2006/10/26/2891/
It's a shame that a few idiot's always seem to give us military guys a bad name where every we go. Down in the lower 48, it's hard to find a farmer that will let you hunt on his land just because your a GI. They've had too much trouble, can't blame them. So many of the younger guys just don't seem to have any respect for someone else's property. It just burns me......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.