DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Found out I don't need to switch terminals. Found the directions online. still wont come on when hooked up to an ignition source...so i just unhooked that wire and ran a jumper wire from batter to the + terminal on controller and the controller just clicks. Wtf happened....I'm fu?*ed of I ruined my controller.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If it click's it's doing something. Did you turn the knob to it's lowest setting? (You may have to warm the motor up because the probe has to be warm to turn the fan on.)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yea...its fixed! Thank god nothing went wrong...first I thought I fried the motor or the controller. So I got it hooked up to a switched source so it now shuts off when I shut the truck off. Didn't do the 180 stat b/c only Napa has one and its closed on sundays. Or should I get a Stant or Jet t-stat?

I hooked it up to a switched source, ran the truck, truck overheated and the fan never came on. So I check my fuse's etc and all were fine. Checked my connections, all were good, looked up the directions to the controller wiring diagram to make sure I didn't miss something and I didn't. So my dad came out and we went over it together and we started thinking on how to bypass the controller just till I could get a new one. He's like lets hook it up to make sure it doesn't decide to work. So I hooked it all back up, ran the truck and the SOB kicks on. I was so thankful...but shi% like this happens to me all the time. The smallest project and something always happens.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Glad it's working. Maybe a faulty connection? I know what you mean about sh$t happening.lol I'm running the jet tstat, but the guy's like the stant's also and their cheaper. (think you have to grind the stant down a little) It's your call.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sorry, but you shouldn't have to grind a new part to get it to fit!! WTF! LOL Gonna try the NAPA brand if anyone chimes in and says not to then I will just fork out the 40 bucks that I saw the Jet stat was. I think that was summit.

I am gonna get it this week and install it next sat. and switch to 91/93 octane and re program the truck. Hope I notice a little more power than I did w/ the 87 tune. (just got the SC 3815 on friday) So far I don't know if I am big fan.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Do a little search on the tstat's. There's a couple that will work. IIRC you just have to grind like 1mm off the stant. Basicly just scare it with the grinding wheel. lol You should feel a differance with the higher oct. tune. (It's going to give you the most performance.) If you really want the biggest differance in a daily driver and performance you really need tranny tuning also. Once you have PT shift point control, you won't want to do without again. Oh well, i guess that's an upgrade for later on. (Once you start modding it doesn't stop.) lololol

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Go with the Jet t-stat. I know it's a little more cash but I have not seen where any of the members have had even one problem with the Jet brand.

:)

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
Sorry, but you shouldn't have to grind a new part to get it to fit!! WTF! LOL Gonna try the NAPA brand if anyone chimes in and says not to then I will just fork out the 40 bucks that I saw the Jet stat was. I think that was summit.
back in the earlier days you couldn't walk up to a parts counter and ask for a 180 tstat for your specific year ram. A few of the mod trailblazers figured out that you could take a certain tstat and grind it down to fit. Then a few started finding ones that could fit our trucks without modifying. I've been using an Autozone 4128 for years (again, not specifically made for our trucks but fit perfectly), it fit correctly and it also had the blocker like the stock one so that it helped warm up the engine better.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok...jet it is. I don't wanna replace it with one and for it to crap out 2 wks and have to do the Job over again. Yea after the t-stat I'm done for a while. How do I do a tranny tune? SC doesn't allow it for an 03. I tried that TMR mod and didn't like how the tranny shifted for me. It was very firm. So I put the wire back in.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
unfortunately you have the stepchild in the 03 pcm/tcm so your options are very limited in terms of programming..

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I know...Haha. Well what happens if I wanted to actually put a cam in....how would that work? B/c u need a program to run a cam. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Oooop's. Yea, it suck's the 03's don't get tran's control. It shifted firmer and you did'nt like it? (better for the clutches thow)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yea...it like jerked into gears at WOT! In my opinion I didn't think it would be good for the tranny. So I put the wire back in its slot. Maybe I will try it again. Which wire is it again? Brown w/ a stripe? I forget...i will do a search on here to get it. Maybe w/ all the other thing I have gotten done since then it will be better. I did that when I had an intake and plugs and wires. That was it.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
SC is no help for those of us with the 02 and 03 trucks. The best you can do is the TRM mod, that you didn't like, and the Sonnax Line Booster. But if you don't like the TRM mod, you most likely will not like the Sonnax.

:)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The hard shift is because of it not letting the clutches slip to give you a softer shift when ingauging the next gear. Less slippage = less wear. You usually won't notice it to much at lite PT, like you do at wot. This is personal preferance and more performance orienented. If you like it better the way it feel's stock, (for comfort) there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
The hard shift is because of it not letting the clutches slip to give you a softer shift when ingauging the next gear. Less slippage = less wear. You usually won't notice it to much at lite PT, like you do at wot. This is personal preferance and more performance orienented. If you like it better the way it feel's stock, (for comfort) there's nothing wrong with that.
I would also add that less slippage = less wear = less heat.

:D

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.