DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a battery that's on it's way out should I just replace that one or replace both at the same time?

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
If you replace one battery then 2 things are going to happen... the first is the new battery will be a bit stronger than the one that is there. This is from a build up of scale as the plates naturally break down. The weaker battery will then pull juice from the new one to compensate.
That brings us to the second thing... not far down the road you will have to buy 2 more batteries to replace both of the ones in the truck as if you only replace the older of the original two batteries the first new one will now be the weaker of the two and the process will repeat itself until you get 2 of the same battery at the same time.
Hope that wasn't too confusing.... I guess what I am trying to say is spend the money now or spend more money later, your choice.
Good luck, Chris

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
I just replaced only one battery. The other battery tested fine and has been running my truck by itself for the better part of 2 months. Meierznutz is right in his statement though. Replacing only one even with the other still good is going to shorten the life of the new battery. I did it because my other battery is only 2 years old and the new battery is a Deka with a good long warranty period and because these huge batteries cost a dang fortune! $120 for the replacement!

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
One other thing I am sure you already know but maybe not. A bad battery (particularly a battery with a bad cell or a shorted cell) will cause all kinds of weird electrical issues with these 24V trucks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank yall

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
One other thing I am sure you already know but maybe not. A bad battery (particularly a battery with a bad cell or a shorted cell) will cause all kinds of weird electrical issues with these 24V trucks.
especially for manual trans guys.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.