DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plans are to (eventually) do a dual battery setup. I am confused as to which ones would be the best for our set-ups (winch-lights stereos ect). I humbly do not use my winch enough, but when I do, I am usually freakin burried in snow or mud and need to use the hell out of it. I have been told that if I get the Optima Blue top deep cycle ones they will crap out because they are the wrong kind, that they NEED to be completly discharged Before they are recharged-any truth to that? If so- then what is the correct one to get,Red-Yellow-Blue. Thoughts please.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
My understanding of the Optima batteries is that the red top ones are the standard type battery. The yellow top is for winching and such because of the deep draw of amps. The blue top is for marine, boating type uses, when it sits for long periods of time between uses. I had the red top in my '99 for 6 years with no problems. When my PW needs a new battery. I'm going with a yellow top Optima. :tup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry if I’m short on this subject but when I go into detail I get a headache. :shocked:

Dual battery setup has several problems.
1. Where do you put it? (Change the placement of air box, locate the 2nd battery on the frame were its a few feet lower for those water crossings or put it in the bed.)
2. If you don’t use 2 of the same batteries that are put into service at the same time you can create problems. Let’s assume you use the same type batteries. If one goes bad it will either make the other battery bad or discharge it. (yes it can be solved with switches and isolators)

I’m running quite a bit of electrical gadgets, Winch, 1800 power inverter, 2200 watt stereo, on board air, off road lights, and a computer probably a few other things I can’t remember. I’m only using one battery (I do carry a spare) the only time I run into problems is when I blast the stereo for 2 hours with the engine off or run the power inverter using a large table saw or shop vac.

I personally would not purchase the Optima batteries. Since Johnson Controls purchased them the quality has gone down in my opinion. I would either purchase a Sears Die Hard Platinum 65 group or the Odyssey PC1750. The only difference is the plastic cover and who warranties them Sears or Odyssey. I would go with Sears.

Stats on the Sears / Odyssey (made by enersys)
• PHCA: 1,750A at 80°F (27°C); for 5 seconds
• CCA: 930A at 0°F (-18°C)
• CA/MCA: 1,175A at 32° (0°C)
• HCA: 1,325 at 80°F (27°C)
• Reserve capacity: 135 minutes on 25amps
• Short circuit current: 3,500A
• Deep cycling capability: 400 at 80% DOD
• Design life: 12 years
• Typical service life: 6 to 8 years

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
If you got a headache, you need more of :drink:
When did Optima sell out? One thing about sears. If the battery goes out when traveling. You can find a sears in just about every town.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I picked up a Canadian tire brand Marine and RV Deep cycle and starting battery for 200 bucks. It's the optima style with the 6 pack sealed. 1200 Cranking and 130 Min Reserve with 90 amp hours. It's what i plan on running for winching.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just watched a show on TV about recycleing, they showed a huge mountain of old dead batteries, I saw quite a few Optimas in there also. I was thinking of-and I hate to say it- W-mart batteries, deep cycle, as there are w-marts almost everywhere. I have only used the winch once for self recovery and the light came on and headlights-which I needed because it was midnight went wayyyyy dim, my foot was on the gas and I tried to keep it between 2-3000rpms while winching. I was not impressed at all. Yes it has a 160 amp alt. The wrangler 200 amp alts put out 95 amps at idle but is VERY expensive at $700. I would mount the 2nd batt in the bed. I wonder what ours put out at idle and at what rpm do they put out 160 amps?

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
wow 95 amps @ idle :YO:
you would be over charging the battery pretty much all the time then wouldn't you? Unless you had allot of electrical draw all the time

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to them, they build it so it wont damage the trucks electrical system. Some put out 130 amps at idle and 240 at full power. the 5.7 is 95 at idle and 200 at full power. Wrangler power products.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
interesting, any sort of electrical protection in the alternator would also help explain the price. I don't imagine they have a lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idk

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
interesting, any sort of electrical protection in the alternator would also help explain the price. I don't imagine they have a lifetime warranty?
It's funny you bring this up. It's one of the challanges with my engine swap i'm in right now. The alternator in vehicles is smart. There are 2 small wires that connect to the alternator besides the main battery wire. One is the generator turn on signal. Usally red. The other is a grey wire. This wire is a 5volt reference wire. The 2 work together to moniter the voltage and the Alt turns on and off (not physically) it's charging dropping down to a trickle charge for a full battery. It keeps from over charging.

·
我愛貓
7,864 Posts
It's funny you bring this up. It's one of the challanges with my engine swap i'm in right now. The alternator in vehicles is smart. There are 2 small wires that connect to the alternator besides the main battery wire. One is the generator turn on signal. Usally red. The other is a grey wire. This wire is a 5volt reference wire. The 2 work together to moniter the voltage and the Alt turns on and off (not physically) it's charging dropping down to a trickle charge for a full battery. It keeps from over charging.
Wow although that makes perfect sense, and now that you mentioned it I would say they all should have been doing that for years ;D I just never thought about it before or realized they did :rck:
So it's safe to say the over charging issue is a thing of the past, at least with our truck:cheerl:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem. If you're interested and in canada anytime, the motormaster Eliminator spiral core battaries are under 200 bucks with 10 year warranty. The Marine/RV I picked up is the same thing just bigger, deep cycle and 1200 Cold cranking amps. It is spiral cell too. The deep cycle will be great for winching and I will be running a disconnect solenoid so it won't be connected unless the main batt is dead or i'm winching.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem. If you're interested and in canada anytime, the motormaster Eliminator spiral core battaries are under 200 bucks with 10 year warranty. The Marine/RV I picked up is the same thing just bigger, deep cycle and 1200 Cold cranking amps. It is spiral cell too. The deep cycle will be great for winching and I will be running a disconnect solenoid so it won't be connected unless the main batt is dead or i'm winching.
Does that bad boy fit in the stock location?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You know It would. Would be tight but it's not physically much bigger than ours. maybe quarter inch to half inch. We have pretty big trays. Eventually I was going to replace the main battery if I have good luck with this one. Then run 2 of em. The only reason I bring them up is the 4 year free replacement and 10 year warranty. I think that got optima beat. I've had less problems with motormaster batteries than mopars. I've used both just as much

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I put in an ODYSSEY Drycell (non-spillable) battery # PC1750 it's a Group 65 so it fits exactly in the stock location, I really like it it was about $240. My stock Mopar battery was leaking acid and corroding the terminals, it's an open-top battery so there wasn't much I could do but replace it.

Performance Features:
* PHCA: 1,750A at 80°F (27°C); for 5 seconds
* CCA: 930A at 0°F (-18°C)
* CA/MCA: 1,175A at 32° (0°C)
* HCA: 1,325 at 80°F (27°C)
* Reserve capacity: 135 minutes on 25amps
* Short circuit current: 3,500A
* Deep cycling capability: 400 at 80% DOD
* Design life: 12 years
* Typical service life: 6 to 8 years

(Website)
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1750t.htm

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
I just bought a sears platinum for my wife's Jeep GC. Price was $189.00 for a group 34 battery. The battery is the same as the Odyssey. The adds are even the same. LOL Same pictures. The case coloring is different tho.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Just catching up on my reading here, and thought I'd chime in on the battery question. I use a lot of Optimas (4 trucks, two with dual battery setups). I had one Optima red die while in warranty, and another got fried by a malfunctioning high output alternator in my Z71. The battery dealer I use told me that they have had a lot of trouble with Optima compared to Odyssey, and strongly recommended that I switch to Odyssey when I replace batteries. Problem is, none of my current Optimas will die. But I will go to Odyssey when I have to replace one.

The dual battery in my PW is mounted in an open steel box, bolted under the cab outboard of the right frame rail, with welding cable routed through the frame channel into the engine compartment. Switching is via the Painless Performance high-amp waterproof isolator/solenoid. The battery box is bolted to the frame rail, battery on its side for easy access, and the box was built up from a race box sold by Summit. I reinforced the box with an angle iron frame and gussetted brackets, and nothing hangs down below the frame. No electrical problems in wet mud or mild water crossings, and the box is strong enough with the reinforcements that if I break it off I'll have bigger problems than just the battery. Box holds an Optima now, but will also take an Odyssey later.

Aside from winching and lights and radios, one good thing about the second battery is that when my Z71 alternator crapped out, I was able to drive almost 100 miles through the desert just on the batteries (two Optimas, one red, one yellow). Got me back to civilization.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts