DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to catch everyone up to speed, I've been searching around on this forum for a while and caught the Hemi addiction. so I sold my toy (01 Dakota R/T) to buy a daily driver so I could retire the old Ram. That leaves me with the 05 Hemi to play with. I plan on buiding the Ram as money permits. So I took the old Hemi to a local 1/8th mile track to get a base line. The old girl has 106k on the clock and just a few mods. I have a Diablo canned 93 tune, Cold Air Intake, and my Y-pipe is cut into true duals. This is what I turned in stock trim on 20's minus the tailgate and spare.

60ft 2.1197
330ft 6.0415
1/8et 9.2824
1/8mph 76.05

So I want to do Pacesetter longtubes, and maybe a Circle D. My question is will it hurt to get a converter without having a cam swap right away. I would like to be in the 8's when the track opens back up next year. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
No not at all! A aftermarket converter will help even a completely stock truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if I decide to go ahead and get the converter for a planned cam? Your truck and a few others on here is what got me thinking about turning up the wick a little on mine. Do you have any input on what a good cam would be? The truck will never need to be a daily again, but I would still like to be able to get it out and cruise a little. That 216 seems to be working good for you, that truck is hauling :rck:

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Sure there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Well glad I am infecting others with the mod bug that I caught a long time ago lol

What cam is good for you all depends on how far you wanna go with the mods and how much you wanna spend. The Crane 216, Hellfire and Comp 268 are as large as you want to go with stock heads.

Yes it is a great cam and has done well for me, glad I picked it. It is a little on the small side for my current setup so I will be upgrading soon to a nasty cam.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
I did the APS2600 prior to camming or headers for that matter.
not long after doing 4.56 gears
cams for mds engines weren't really proven much back then..
and I'd already decided I wouldn't do headers unless I was ready to cam.
anyway
Initially got about equal gains from
stall
headers
then cam.
and IIRC it was approx .25 -.30 in the 1/8 for each.
then combined and tweaked it got faster.

On the TC just take care with rpm selection the more power the higher it will stall and the aps2600 hits about 3000 at launch with my mods now NA.

·
Jacob
2,294 Posts
It's sad that your truck pretty much runs what mine does, stupid Quad Cab 4x4's

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
It's sad that your truck pretty much runs what mine does, stupid Quad Cab 4x4's
You would be shocked at the difference with a stall. With something like a 3k or even better a 3.2k

·
Jacob
2,294 Posts
You would be shocked at the difference with a stall. With something like a 3k or even better a 3.2k
I'm just worried about doing tranny stuff when I don't know how good of shape it's in. I think your truck made me a chicken about it since they're twins lol. I know I would do a stall once a new tranny goes in but I'm iffy about doing it before.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
05's are a good year to have...here's mine as I turned 207k miles...

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
I'm just worried about doing tranny stuff when I don't know how good of shape it's in. I think your truck made me a chicken about it since they're twins lol. I know I would do a stall once a new tranny goes in but I'm iffy about doing it before.
Don't be skeered! I paved the way so you will not have any issues. Just go with a Edge converter if you want a 245mm, problem solved! For factory sized converters Edge, Circle D, APS... are all good choices. But when it comes to 245mm converters Edge is far superior at street manners.

I have zero issues with my Edge 4000 and its currently my favorite performance mod date!

·
Jacob
2,294 Posts
Don't be skeered! I paved the way so you will not have any issues. Just go with a Edge converter if you want a 245mm, problem solved! For factory sized converters Edge, Circle D, APS... are all good choices. But when it comes to 245mm converters Edge is far superior at street manners.

I have zero issues with my Edge 4000 and its currently my favorite performance mod date!
Maybe I will look into throwing a edge 3200 stall in. The wheels are turnin, would have to see about install though because I don't trust myself with a tranny

Edit: I got a quote for about $500 which sounds about right to me, but I want to get a 1 ton cooler and deep pan before this venture

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts

seems differnt truck react different to their TC's I'd be inclinded to spec one as so many rpm more than you have right now than an absolute. We've seen a number o cases where the stame TC behaves different in different trucks.
If I put your edge 4000 in mine, it might actually stall at 4200, which would likely be not so driver friendly.
ricky's truck was sort of like yours way back when, he tried an aps2600 and his stalled at like 1900-200 vs mine stalling at 2600
His was already stalling lower than mine stock so what seemed to hapen is we both got a few hundred rpm increase, but it didn't impact whatever it was that caused our stall rpm to be different from mine in the first place. Oh and both our trucks are 06 QC's and IIRC both buit in the same qtr.

anyway point is if you want to do a tc take what your stall is now and what rpm it actually brake stalls at into consideration. compare that to the advertised number to double check you are going to end up with what you expect to get.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Maybe I will look into throwing a edge 3200 stall in. The wheels are turnin, would have to see about install though because I don't trust myself with a tranny
That would do wonders to your truck!

Call Andre at Edge and he will build you a converter that will be damn close to what you want.

seems differnt truck react different to their TC's I'd be inclinded to spec one as so many rpm more than you have right now than an absolute. We've seen a number o cases where the stame TC behaves different in different trucks.
If I put your edge 4000 in mine, it might actually stall at 4200, which would likely be not so driver friendly.
ricky's truck was sort of like yours way back when, he tried an aps2600 and his stalled at like 1900-200 vs mine stalling at 2600
His was already stalling lower than mine stock so what seemed to hapen is we both got a few hundred rpm increase, but it didn't impact whatever it was that caused our stall rpm to be different from mine in the first place. Oh and both our trucks are 06 QC's and IIRC both buit in the same qtr.

anyway point is if you want to do a tc take what your stall is now and what rpm it actually brake stalls at into consideration. compare that to the advertised number to double check you are going to end up with what you expect to get.
Granted that different trucks react differently to the same converter. No doubt that the Circle D 245mm's work very well in trucks before 06. But with the issues I had with a smaller stalled Circle D 258mm in my truck why should he risk it when a higher stalled Edge 245mm works like a charm in my 07. 07-08's are very similar and it was not till swapping to the Edge converter that I can actually set my shift points almost exactly where they will shift. Something EBH never could do with his Circle D 3400 245mm.

My converter was built to flash stall to 4k when it actually stalls to 4.2k, the manners it has are surprising to say the least. Loose yes but it does not act like its going crazy on me surging/stalling bucking etc. This is with the only TCM tuning being added line pressure. The only time the Circle D was even drivable on the street was with major trans tuning that was experimental and took out the transmission. Edge works great with no tuning and Circle D required major tuning to even drive a block without stalling.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
what does a stock ran stall at?
some say 2300 others 2400
IIRC stock my truck brake stalled about 2200 rpm behind my weak ass stock motor that ran a best of about 10.2 in the 1/8 and dynoed about 250 hp
that was holding the brakes and going WOT with the gas till it stalled

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts

Granted that different trucks react differently to the same converter. No doubt that the Circle D 245mm's work very well in trucks before 06. But with the issues I had with a smaller stalled Circle D 258mm in my truck why should he risk it when a higher stalled Edge 245mm works like a charm in my 07. 07-08's are very similar and it was not till swapping to the Edge converter that I can actually set my shift points almost exactly where they will shift. Something EBH never could do with his Circle D 3400 245mm.

My converter was built to flash stall to 4k when it actually stalls to 4.2k, the manners it has are surprising to say the least. Loose yes but it does not act like its going crazy on me surging/stalling bucking etc. This is with the only TCM tuning being added line pressure. The only time the Circle D was even drivable on the street was with major trans tuning that was experimental and took out the transmission. Edge works great with no tuning and Circle D required major tuning to even drive a block without stalling.

Call Andre at Edge and he will build you a converter that will be damn close to what you want.
though you were just posting that it wasn't launching at 4000 rather at3000?? and mentioned lukes.
Driven both Lukes and Mikes with the exact same TC and lukes was quite tight and driveable in comparison to how loose the same TC was in Mikes.

I'm confused now

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
though you were just posting that it wasn't launching at 4000 rather at3000?? and mentioned lukes.
Driven both Lukes and Mikes with the exact same TC and lukes was quite tight and driveable in comparison to how loose the same TC was in Mikes.

I'm confused now
haha, looking at my logs the truck stays at 4185 for a split second every time meaning that is where it flashes. There is something going on at 2.7k that I cannot figure out but its not flashing there its kind of a partial flash. At 2.7k is where the rate the motor is flashing slows down allowing the truck to start to move. I am confused like crazy over this.

Luke's truck had a different stator if I am not mistaken compared to Mikes. But I am not talking about looseness but your truck driving like its going out of its mind. Surging, stalling, and bucking... etc. Absolutely not drivable, even with a idle at 800 rpm. That is what I am talking about. My Edge is looser then my Circle D but its more efficient making it PCM friendly.

·
Registered
43 Posts

What are your 60ft times?

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
Usually low 1.8's

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.