DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!!!! I am new here and there is a lot of knowledge here. Great!!!! I have a 99 2500 RAM that is completely stock. I am gonna start adding mods this summer..... I want the input of the Dodge gang here to direct me to the best mods that will get me the biggest bang for the buck....... I pull a 14,000 pound 5th wheel and use it for plowing in the winter.... It is a great truck so far on it's 2nd injection pump and 2nd trans. It has a bigger set of tires and after that it is stock. I would like to be pointed towards a program that will allow me to change shift points and the other bells and whistles. So I hope you guys can help me from start to finish. I do own a truck and get quite busy over the summer. But I will be doing all this work on the week ends when I am not working on my gravel train. Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
first, welcome to DT, man:D

and as far as mods go, get a fuel pressure gauge if ya ain't got one yet, and also get a fass or airdog fuel transfer pump

and, as far as motor mods go, get a bully dog, edge, or quadzilla programmer, ya can't go wrong with none of em, it's just what ya like best, as for me, i'll be buyin an edge soon:), and you deffinatly wanna get a cold air intake, whether it's a k&n or a homemade one, you also might wanna look into bigger injectors, and that's all i can think of

i'm sure that nick(red sleeper) has a lot more ideas than me;D

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
I like the AEM Stage II intakes myself, but then again that is what I run on my truck. Like CMNS2500 said, any of the programmers are nice, depends on your wallet and preference really.

Also, as said. Your first purchase should be a fuel pressure gauge followed closely by some sort of aftermarket fuel pump system. I like the Airdog, but there are alternatives.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Well once again welcome to Dodge Talk.lol. Im not sure how much towing you do if your always towing or just on the weekends or whatever when you are you need to be worring about your EGT's (Exhause Gas Temp) Trans Fluid temp and probably your turbo boost. # main guages to start out with. But before you go and do that you need to decide on what kinda chip your gonna purchase. Like my edge with the attitude I can moniter all anything I want on one small screne and not have to have guages.

But before any of that the major cause of Injection Pump failure on these trucks is the shitty lift pump. If you want more dependability then shart shopping for aftermarket lift pumps. FASS, Air Dog, Walbrow, Raptor, or I know Clunk on here has a pusher pump for his stock pump, its a Carter I think, he will let you know. And also you will want to invest in fuel pressure guage, this is very important.

But as far as towing goes it sounds like you might run into egt's rising. For this, depending on how deep you get into your modding, a water meth injection would be best to help with egt's. HEre is what I would start out with:
An open element air filter
4" turbo back exuaust
Guages (depending on your chip application, the edge attitude has a fuel pressure read out on the module)
A new lift pump or pusher pump
Water meth

And later on I'll look for the thread to show how I pump out 35p.s.i. out of a stock Holset HY35 (the turbo on your truck)

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, dont say it so loud. Get some mods first and I'll inform you. Or you can just tru the search button.

Dont anyone else tell him please, I wanna see him get some mods first then realize the difference, if he does decide to mod...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ohh, yer keeping secrets now huh?
:secret2:

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Actually he just PMed me, he has a manual with the HX35, not the HY like mine so he can invest in the valve. I just wanted him to notice the difference cause when I did it tht damn truck woke up!!!!

Kinda off subject, watch who yall smoke out, you can get a ticket for it. A guy my dad works with, his son has a 24v and blew a cloud on a lady one day and she got his plate numbers and reported him. $75 later he is pissed off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not the guy that posted looking for mods. I have a fass 150 pump, bullydog torque dog, cold air intake and 5 inch dual stacks with no soot trap or muffler. I have seen some different things done to the wastegate just was wondering what you did? I do need a different programer though what do you guys recommend (juice w/attitude)??

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My boost elbow is just a 90* elbow with a hole drilled in the side and a piece of rubber tubing inside with a tiny hole in it....all inside that elbow. Evidently it leaks enough air to keep the wastegate diaphram from getting a full pressure signal, holding the wastegate closed until the boost pressure exceeds 40psi., then the wastegate starts opening.
I've seen adjustable boost elbows on eBay that look good...nice & simple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all your input......I have just been letting all of you get your ideas in and seeing what my options are. I would like something that is plug and play that I can monitor all my stuff in one screen. I will be getting a feul presure gauge first and for most, already replaced injection pump once. Right now I am dealing with an issue that is causing my wipers, radio to still get power when I turn the key off. When I pull the seat belt fuse it shuts them both off. If I pull the 50 amp fuse under the hood it also shuts it off.....It is causing a battery drain right now. So if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
i dunno nothin as far as the battery thing goes, so i can't help ya there:dunno:

but, if ya wanna monitor everything in one lil screen the edge juice w/ attitude comes with everything you need to do that with;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
edge juice w/ attitude------ wow..... I just got done looking this up and checking out the specs....It seems this is a plug and play unit. Who has installed this and what was intailed in the hook up to get all the options to work? EGT, FEUL PRESSURE, ALL OF IT......never mind I found the install guide.....This looks like the one I will go with....... It seems to have it all..... Any down sides to this one?

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
To the edge? Yes, only problem I had was with the cool down timer. About 8 months or so into my ownership of the chip the truck wouldn't turn off. So I ended up unplugging the chip completely and it cut off. Called edge and told them my story and they made good on it. I sent it to them and they went through it, bench tested it, and uploaded the latese version of the Juice to the module. Sent it back to me and aint had a problem sence. Truck cranks and runs like a champ everyday. Edge has some of the best customer service in the buisness I believe.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
good to hear, nick, i'll pick me one up soon;)

and, countryboy, pm CTDreamin, he'll give ya a very good price on the edge, trust me:tup:

imma buy mine from him;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.