DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm stuck. I'm trying to remove my lower BJ with the separator I got at Advance and it won't come loose. I've been hitting it with a normal hammer. My craftsman air hammer doesn't seem to work. Any ideas on getting it loose? I'm heading to Home Depot now to buy another air hammer and big sledge.

BTW - The bearing/hub came out easily on the driver side.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
penetrating oil and heat?

·
:D Hello!!!
3,401 Posts
Bigger hammer & patience

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fork like separator is going all the way in, but it still hasn't separated. I'm using 15/16" which says, ball joints.

Do I need to keep hitting or going at it with the air hammer?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Take the nut completely off, place a jack underneath the ball joint, and jack up so where the ball joint is supporting the weight and tap the side of the ball joint with a hammer, the weight will help separate it

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the upper with a pitman arm puller. The arm puller won't fit on the lower. I've been banging on this since 9am (3p now). Not sure what to do next.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I usually just loosen the castle nut almost all the way off and then give the spindle a few solid whacks on the face with a 4lb sledge and that usually gets things loosened up. Sometimes a few whacks on the side of the spindle helps too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just had that issue with mine. Pain in the butt.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Until I get a ball joint separator that is compression style, my truck is basically non driveable. I just tried the passenger side with the same results. I hit the bottom of the driver side bolt enough, that I can't get the nut back on. I'm going to put the hubs/brakes/wheels back on and park it in the driveway.

BTW - I called a local shop and they said $340 for just the lower BJs.

·
Registered
952 Posts
did you try using the jack?

·
Kyle
469 Posts
Take a torch and just blow out the center of the ball joint and the rest should fall out. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep. I tried all of the methods listed except the torch.

·
Work In Progress
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
225 Posts
With ur tie rod and brakes off turn the spindle and hit the knuckle wit a hammer right were the balljoint goes threw the knuckle.. It should drop. If not than ur prob gonna need some heat.

·
Registered
810 Posts
true that . . i just used a small propane torch from the hardware store. worked enough for me

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
They can be a bitch. I had some on 3/4 tons i thought were never coming out, than some that would almost fall out.

·
Registered
810 Posts
thats what i use. just heat what ever metal you can get to woth out melting the boot, and make sure you wack at it right away so it doesnt cool down at all

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.