DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Ram is getting loose in the front end. Friend says it's the ball joints.
How tough is it to change them and any suggestions on manufactures....
Truck is up to 173000 miles on the original ones.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i replaced the ones on mine and it wasnt bad took about 4hrs i just used ones from napa

·
Registered
989 Posts
My truck is 2wd and I rplaced both upper and lowers on each side. They had to weld the ball joints in. Some have to do this. Ball joints on these trucks are a pita. The units from Moog are good, if you plan on keeping the truck. If not get some decent ones.

·
truckman323
466 Posts
I went with Moog. They are pretty good, I suggest whatever brand you get make sure they are greaseable. The actual project isn't too bad, just hit everything really good with penetrating oil the day/couple days before, be really cautious taking out the axle, and make sure you press in the joints straight. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I replaced mine about a month ago.. Tearing apart the front end was really simple and no special tools needed. I took the control arms with the new MOOG upper and lower ball joints to a machine shop and they replaced them.. Since the control arms were out, I replaced all the bushings too...

Troy

·
Registered
268 Posts
there not bad, i just a diy on them on a diff fourm,(PM if you want the link not sure if it would post on here) if you are going to rent the press kit get it form advance auto they have all the right cups... the cheaps place to get moog joints was rockauto.com good luck... feel free to ask me ?? ia'm new to this forum

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, I haven't bought the ball joints yet. I am also looking at a bushing kit from Energy. The welding part might be a problem, but I hope that my truck won't need that. I dont have an Advance Auto around here. Just a Napa, there is a O'Reilly's and a Auto Zone near by so I'll check. Again thanks guys...........:rck:

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
I had the ball joints changed out at an local shop, it was over a 1000.00 to have them do it, I would have done it myself but I purchased an extended warranty, the problem is the warranty company went belly up while the shop was replacing my balljoints.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have four brand new ball joints that i didnt need for my truck and they will fit yours probally $100 for all four. still in plastic and boxes.

[email protected]

·
Registered
268 Posts
the weld was on the lower jbs just two little tak welds, just took a grider and they were gone......... as the jb press kit autozone dones not have the right cups, not sure about NAPA, Oreily's... good luck if you need help when get around to it let me know.( i have a ton and pic when i did mine)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Napa's prices were more than double that of Advanced Auto and Auto Zone. The only problem I had was the hub rusted to the steering knuckle. I beat it out from behind with a 3lb. hammer and an old socket (14mm 12 point I believe). Back the 4 bolts holding the hub on out about 1/4 inch and whack away. Be careful not to hit anything important. I've also heard that you can put a socket and extension on the bolt and wedge it against the frame and use the power steering to "pop" the hub out, but be careful of flying parts. Don't use a puller to yank the hub out from the outside. If it is really stuck (like mine was) it will pull the sealed bearing apart ($100 - $200 each).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts bought!!

Well, I have bit the bullet and ordered all of the parts from LMC, I just got the new DE.7 catalog and they had everything I wanted in one place and the prices were pretty darn good!!

Found some really GOOD info on the Auto Zone site: http://www.autozone.com/addVehicleId,2337303/initialAction,repairGuide/shopping/vehicleSelected.htm
It shows alot of repair procedures and good graphics. Doesn't look too hard, just need to take my time.
Looks as though I should have all the tools I need at the shop at work.
I have a lift, jacks, press, and lots of hand tools.
Seems straight forward enough.
I'll let everyone know what happens, I wont do it until school lets out for spring break March 16th.
Thanks for all the input from everyone:gr_patrio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.